16

For as long as I remember, I always looked forward to my eighteenth birthday. I remember being fifteen years old and thinking everything would click into place the second the clock hit midnight. 

I thought that I would magically feel confident, secure, and stable.

Now here I was at midnight on January 20th with the mindset that I knew everything and nothing at the same time.

But I appreciated the love I got on Instagram stories and over text messages when it was just minutes into my birthday.

There was a part of my mind that wondered if I would wake up to a happy birthday text from Hayden. Of course, I didn't, but I wondered if this would be the year that I would get a genuine happy birthday from him. Not one that was half-assed, sarcastic, or obligatory. 

That didn't really matter.

I got ready for school, I even bothered to put on a little makeup. My hair was straightened with fresh highlights which was a perfect way to bring in eighteen. 

"I cannot believe that my baby girl is eighteen years old!" my mom exclaimed as I came downstairs. 

I couldn't believe that she actually cooked my favorite breakfast meal: french toast with fresh fruit, eggs, and turkey bacon. Maybe this would be the year that we would begin to see eye to eye.

"Happy, happy birthday!" my dad said in a sing-song voice as he picked me up and spun me around. 

I laughed. "Thank you, Dad."

"I think it's time for your first two gifts." my dad put two pink bags on the kitchen island.

I was sitting down, eating my food, and eyeing both of my parents. "What could it be?"

"Open them and find out." my mom motioned. 

I went for the smaller bag first and pulled out a small David Yurman box. "Fine jewelry?"

"You're an adult, I think it's time for you to start your own collection." my mom justified. 

I opened up the box to see a garnet and diamond gold ring. It was so gorgeous and garnet was my birthstone. It caught the light so beautifully. 

"It's so beautiful, thank you! I love it." I put the ring on my ring finger. 

I opened up the bigger bag. "Mom and dad...no way!"

"No way!" I repeated over and over again.

It was the most beautiful YSL bag that I'd ever seen down to the gold chain, and black leather, it was everything to me. My mom had one that I would always borrow and admire. I couldn't believe that I had my own now. 

"You deserve it. You won't be able to take one of my favorite bags all the way to Texas." she smiled with her phone out.

I gave both my parents a hug, posed for some obligatory birthday pictures, finished eating my breakfast, and headed to school. 

"I can't believe that my best friend is eighteen!" Ivy hugged me as we walked down the hall. 

"And you'll join the club soon enough." I grinned. "But thank you for my favorite candy, the smiley face slippers, and the bath bombs. You're truly the best."

"Alrighty boo, I'll see you later. Don't forget about your birthday dinner tomorrow night." Ivy said to me before she walked down the hall. 

When I walked into the science classroom, I saw Mr. Brooks.

"You look older." he winked at me.

Oh my goodness, he winked at me?

"Do I?" I questioned him.