11

The week before Thanksgiving break always had a special tradition for Trinity seniors. This specific senior tradition was not anything special or fun. In fact, most seniors dreaded it, but it was required to graduate.

Senior service day always took place every Friday before Thanksgiving break. Every single senior was separated by our last names and assigned to a site to volunteer. 

I fell into group A-C. My assigned site was Lake View Assisted Living Facility. 

I didn't know how to feel knowing that I was going to be working with the elderly for the day. Old people were either enjoyable, charismatic, or just outright rude.

"Where are you volunteering?" my mom asked me as I did my edges. she combed her hands through my box braids. "These look so pretty on you. I love the curls on the ends."

I can't believe that she was complimenting me right now. Normally it was just straight criticism.

"Lake View and thank you." I responded

My mom sat down on my bed. "The old folks home?"

"That's the one." I responded.

She made a face. "Have fun with that. Did you finish packing? Any plans before we leave?"

My family usually went out of town for Thanksgiving and Christmas. It was always a hard time for them and ever since I was eight, we spent the holidays on vacation and out of the house that had too many painful memories.

This year we were going to Santa Barbara which doubled as a college tour for me. 

"I did, but I'm going out with Jonah tonight." I put down my brush. I'm sure she was pleased to hear that piece of information. "I better get going."

"Have a good day." my mom said to me before she walked out of my room. 

I grabbed a package of blueberry Belvita and my water bottle on the way out. I drove to the senior living home and walked inside to check-in.

"Good morning Miss Carroway." Mrs. Robins (senior class advisor) greeted me. I watched as she highlighted my name off a list. "Any plans this break?"

"Morning." I smiled. "I'm going on a little family vacation/college tour from Saturday to Wednesday. My grandparents are coming over for dinner on Thursday." I informed her. 

She looked up. "Sounds fun. Do you mind helping me get people checked in?"

"No problem," I responded. 

I helped her do that for about thirty minutes. Of course, someone walked in fashionably late.

"You were supposed to be here for 8:15 and it's 8:18." I marked Hayden's name off the list.

He rolled his eyes. "You are so unserious."

"But I'm punctual," I added.

"When you woke up this morning you were probably so excited to remember that you get to work with me for a whole day." Hayden grinned.

I just looked at him. "You actually didn't cross my mind at all."

I stood up from behind the table and walked toward him. "Is this your way of admitting that you can't get me off your mind?"

"You wish, Carroway." Hayden looked me up and down. "I like your shoes."

I looked down at my shoes and then at his shoes. We both had on the same pair of Nike Blazers. What were the chances?

"You wanna be like me so bad." I nudged him.

He squinted his eyes. "Aren't I older than you?"

"When's your birthday?" I asked him