17

*Hayden's POV*

Waking up next to Rowan Carroway on a random ass in the middle of the week was something that I never saw coming. There was nothing sexual about it, no funny business, I finally got to know her on a deeper level.

I liked that we were so alike yet so different. I liked the way she didn't take any shit. I really liked that she somehow saw me, Hayden fucking Brooks, as a safe space.

"I really didn't mean to fall asleep here." she sat up from the couch. 

I picked up my phone. "It's five in the morning so we only slept for like an hour. We talked for a really long time." 

"We did." Rowan agreed. "II guess I should get home and shower before school starts."

I got up. "Are your parents not worried?"

She shook her head. "They think I'm at Bria's."

"I'll walk you out." I stretched.

I walked Rowan to her car and it was still dark outside. 

"Thank you for listening." she looked up at me.

"Anytime." I looked her in the eyes. "Let me know when you make it home."

She nodded. "Of course."

Rowan gave me a side hug before she got into her car. I didn't leave that driveway until she drove off. 

Oh dear God. What is she doing to me?

The fact that it was Rowan Berkely Carroway out of all the girls in the world is what was getting me.

I saw that she got home safely, took a shower, and drove to school for workouts before classes started. I was so tired, but I wouldn't have traded those hours I spent talking to her for anything in the world.

"We're doing a dinner party at my house after school. I'm making my boys burgers, fries, and hot dogs." Nolan announced,

What a typical male meal.

"You know that I'm there." I agreed.

I didn't want to go home to an empty house anyway. 

"Perfect. We need to catch up anyway. You seem...happy?" Nolan winked.

I think he could read me a little too well.

I chuckled. "Ok."

When I told her that I looked at her differently, I really meant it. This whole time I thought she was a pretentious asshole when she came from a household that carried so much pain and trauma and they tried to cover it up with big expensive parties and businesses worth billions of dollars.

She was down-to-earth, introspective, and kind.

God, why had I been a bitch to her for this long? We only had a couple of months left before we went our separate ways for school.

She was going to be in Texas and I was probably going to be in Tennessee. Was there even a point?

Whatever.

"Brooks!" Isaiah shouted my name as we stood in Nolan's kitchen. "What's going on with you and Hannah? Did you hear about her black-out party? It's like a double whammy because she wants people to wear all black and for people to you know actually black out."

I could feel the smug look on my face. "I did hear about that party. What do you mean?"

It was just Isaiah, Nolan, and me.

"Please, you two used to 'have fun' all the time." Noolan reminded me.

"We haven't talked in a while. I think the last time was before Christmas break." I explained.