22

My debutante ball is something that I'd been looking forward to since I saw pictures of my mom's debut and then I got even more excited when Sloane did it. 

I couldn't believe that tonight was finally my turn.

My nails and hair were done, my family was in town, my dress was ironed, and everything was going to be so amazing. 

"Are you excited?" Sloane asked me as I sat in the chair getting my makeup done.

We got a room in the hotel that was hosting the ball. I thought it was extra but my mom didn't want to scramble all over the place and she was right in this case.

It was nice to be in one place.

I gave her a thumbs up. "Rehearsal went really well last night and my introduction sounds so official. Dad was doing the most and adding dance moves though."

Sloane chuckled. "That doesn't surprise me."

"Your dad has always been extra and he swears he's a good dancer. I'm going to go grab us some Starbucks, I need the caffeine." my mom grabbed her Prada bag. She had a head full of rollers and a matching set. 

Even when she was in preparation mode, she still always somehow looked classy and put together. That was something I admired about her. 

"So, how is Hayden?" she asked me as soon as my mom left the room.

Of course, she would ask this as I was getting eye makeup done.

"He's good." I responded. "He seems really excited about tonight."

"Be honest, do you like him? This is a judgment-free zone." my sister went on.

I let out a laugh. Judgement-free zone my ass.

I took a deep breath and thought about Hayden Romeo Brooks. The flowers he got for me, the way he held my hand in the car, the way my heart started to speed up every time he was around me or even touched me.

I nodded my head. "Yes."

"That was my first time admitting that and I didn't think it would be to you." I took one second to glance at my sister. 

She squealed. "I knew It! I knew it!"

"Oh, please."

"What are you going to do?" she asked me.

I shrugged. "I don't really know how to proceed with him. This is like new ground for us. You know how we've been for years."

"Our dynamic has really changed and I like how I feel when I'm around him. He makes me feel seen and protected and I really appreciate that."

"You know, I've always been hard on and a bitch, but I'm happy for you Rowan. I think he brings out a softer side of you. I was just watching you two practice tonight and it was nice to see you chuckle and not look so tense."

God, if Sloane could see it then it had to be obvious. 

"Yeah." that's all that I could get out.

"It's going to be a good night for you, Miss Carroway. You're going to be the belle of the ball. The best fucking debutante this city has seen." Sloane grinned.

I finished getting my hair and makeup done, ate some food, and then got changed into my dress. My dress was so me.

It was a ballgown (white of course). It had buttons going down the bodice with a statement bow in the back. It wasn't too big or too small, it was perfect. I was wearing the pearls that Sloane wore on her night along with the signature white gloves.