27

Ever since I was young, I was always excited to experience my own prom. I was one of the youngest of my siblings and cousins so I always got to see the beautiful dresses plus the movies played into what I thought prom should be.

Now my moment was here.

I would have never imagined that my senior (and only prom) would be with Hayden Brooks by my side. 

My mom, Sloane, and I turned my room prep into a girl's day. The day started with an early morning pilates class, hydrating facials from my esthetician family friend, and getting our nails done. 

Around 1, we got lunch at one of my dad's newest concept restaurants.

"Are you excited for tonight?" Sloane asked me.

I grinned. "So excited for prom and graduation.'

"My little Ro boat is going places." my mom began. "My baby is about to graduate, she's made the cheer team for her University, and I can't believe she's about to move all the way to Texas in august."

There's this saying that distance (or absence depending) makes the heart grow fonder. For the longest, I thought it only applied to romantic relationships, but I was seeing the truth in that saying in my mom's and I's relationship more than ever.

I was only in Texas for four days, but when I came back it was like I saw this whole new side of Nicole Rowan-Carroway. She was making all of my favorite meals, and taking me out shopping, and we weren't arguing much these days.

I think the fact that she was going to be an empty nester and that I was going to be a thousand miles away was starting to set in. 

August couldn't come soon enough. I was excited to live in a dorm with Naomi, be on the cheer team, and just feel like an independent adult.

The fact that I didn't know what the future held was scary, but I was so excited. 

When we got home, I took a shower and I washed, styled, and dried my hair. By the time that was all over, it was time to get my makeup done. I went for a natural soft glam since my dress spoke for itself. 

I didn't want to overpower it.

All of my friends were coming over to my house to take pictures before prom. My mom was taking us being the picture taking house very seriously. She got the yard freshly landscaped, a photo-oop area with a balloon arch, finger food, the whole nine.

I was so excited that Ivy was coming over earlier than everyone else to get ready with me. She was my longest friend and she was going to college all the way in Georgia.

"Rowan B. Carroway!" Ivy exclaimed with her dress in tow as I opened the door. "The hair, the make-up, bitch your stunning! Is that a pink vintage juicy tracksuit?"

I did a little twirl. "It sure is! Thank you, Ives."

"You're the stunning one. The silk straight hair with the smokey eye is giving ." I complimented my best friend.

"Your mom really went all out." she commented as we went upstairs to my room. 

"I am her last baby after all." I reminded her.

Ivy draped her dress over my bed. "So, Ro-Ro, how is life?"

I smiled. "What does that ambiguous question mean?"

"You know what it means!" Ivy walked in front of my mirror. "Have you talked to Mr. football star? What's his name? Micah?"

She was the only one that knew about him.

I sat down at my vanity. "Loosely. I don't know. I kinda feel bad."

Ivy looked at me and frowned. "Why?"