5

After a long day of school and an away football game (that we lost), all I wanted to do was sleep in on Friday morning.

However, there were other plans.

As a child, I often sat in church every Sunday wondering what hell was like. Luckily for 17-year-old Rowan, she didn't have to wonder anymore. 

Hell was shopping with my mom and Sloane for homecoming dresses. 

They were so picky about what went on my body.

The lunch beforehand was just my mom kissing Sloane's ass over the smallest shit.

I'd tried on so many dresses. Some with sequins, some silk, some that looked like I was on my way to my 60th birthday party. So many.

At this point, I wished that I had just gone shopping by myself and called it a day.

"Oh, that one is going to age terribly." Sloane commented as I stared at myself in the mirror.

I noticed my mom nodding her head. "Absolutely."

I know the woman who had the trendiest woman wasn't talking.

At this point, I was over it. I didn't even care that I wasn't in love with this dress. It wasn't like II was getting married and it was enough for me. It complimented my body, I liked the color, it was my homecoming dress.

"Well, this is the dress I'm getting." I turned to face them.

My mom tilted her head. "Rowan, are you sure?"

"You're going to regret it in ten years." Sloane added

I shrugged. "I won't care about it in ten years. I'm sure all those girls who wore zebra print and hot pink dresses are doing just fine."

"Dad gave me his card and told me to pick a dress that I like. III like this one, so I'm getting it." I said to them before I walked back to the changing room.

I would never hate this dress no matter what.

It would always remind me of the first time that I stood up to my mom and Sloane. For that, I would always be grateful for this dress.

I went home and stared at that dress.

Oh, I was going to make them sick in two weeks.

Later that night, I went to Hannah's house for her pre-birthday celebration. Her actual birthday was on Monday and she planned on celebrating with her family that day.

If anyone in this world was a social butterfly, it was Hannah. There were forty people at this pre-birthday bash and less than half went to our school. She just knew everyone and everyone knew her.

"Rowan!" she gave me a hug. "Come on, I have to introduce you to Jonah. I've been telling him all about you."

She dragged me to the kitchen where I saw this tall light skin with curly hair. That had to be him.

"Jo!" Hannah called out as we walked over. "Jonah, this is Rowan, and Rowan this is Jonah. Jonah goes to Wake and he's on the basketball team. Jo, Rowan is a cheerleader for Trinity and she's student body president. She's pretty fucking amazing."

She'd definitely been drinking.

Jonah gave me this awkward side-hug. "I've heard so much about you."

"Likewise." I gave him a small smile.

He had deep brown eyes and he definitely had to have braces at some point. Jonah had the straightest and whitest teeth. 

I had to give Hannah her credits, he was pretty cute.

"Ro, I'm going to go greet other people but I'll come to find you later." Hannah pointed to me and then gasped. "Oh my gosh, Ro and Jo. How cute is that?"

I smirked. "Pretty cute, Han."

I turned to face Jonah. "Basketball player, huh?"

"Since third grade. How long have you been cheering?" he questioned me.

"Well, I started out doing gymnastics. I did that from pre-school to fourth grade then I made the switch to cheer." I responded.

Jonah nodded, "Nice. Can I get you a drink? Well, a Truly."

"Sure." I agreed.

He dug in a cooler and handed me a strawberry-lemonade Truly. 

"Have you ever been to a Trinity homecoming?" I asked him.

"Nah, first time for everything." he winked.

Jonah turned away and did a little shrug. "You know, whenever you wanna ask me."

I liked him.

"I was trying to wait until," I looked down at my apple watch, "I knew you for at least fifteen minutes."

"Alright, that's fair." he took a sip of his drink as I opened mine.

We stood in the kitchen getting to know each other for a while. He grew up in Durham and moved to Raleigh after his parents got a divorce in 9th grade, he planned to go to college for marketing. 

"How'd you meet Hannah?" I asked him as we sat on a couch outside.

"Fourth of July weekend. We have a mutual friend and we were on the same boat. She's a cool girl." Jonah informed me.

Damn. 

I wish I wasn't on vacation with my family because I got invited to go on that boat. Maybe Jonah would've been my boyfriend by now.

"Jooooooo!" a voice shouted.

Dear God.

"My boy." he gave Hayden a handshake.

This city was too small.

Hayden looked at me. "Oh shit, am I interrupting?"

I just blinked. "Aren't you always?"

"You two are cute." Hayden commented. "Carry on or wait should I say, Carroway...on?"

"Hayden, you're not funny." I flipped him off as he walked inside the house. 

Jonah and I acted like that never happened and we kept talking for another thirty minutes. I officially asked him to go to homecoming with me which led me to be invited to his school's homecoming. 

I was oddly excited about that.

I only had friends from my school and I wanted to expand my circle.

"Is he nice? Did Hannah do good?" Ivy asked me after I wrapped up my conversations with Jonah.

I nodded my head. "I have to give her some credit here."

Ivy clapped and jumped up and down. "I'm so happy for you. Maybe you'll get your first smooch since eighth grade."

"Maybe," I agreed. "I'm going to pee."

I walked upstairs to go to Hannah's room and of course, he was walking out of the bathroom with a red solo cup in hand.

"Someone has been here before," I pointed out. "Did you take my hint from last Saturday?"

"Mhmm," Hayden hummed. "She asked me, but hey. I guess I'll see you and Jonah at dinner since we're in the same group."

I groaned. "Hayden. I'm begging you to get her to switch groups. I do not want you to be in my homecoming pictures for all of eternity."

He shook his head, "I'll pass. I like seeing you squirm when I get on your nerves."

"You piss me off and I hate you."

"Please, you and I both know that's not true." he walked away.