14

The first half of my Christmas break was spent touring UT-Austin to see if this school was what I truly wanted. I knew that I had the transcript and resumé to get into UT Austin, but when my portal updated to accepted it was one of the best moments of my life. 

I was in love with the campus, the people, and the fact that it was nearly twenty hours away from home. I so badly craved independence and I knew that if I went here that want would be fulfilled. 

It was that night at dinner that I paid my enrollment deposit. 

I was officially a longhorn.

"I cannot believe that my baby girl is going to be so far away." my mom stroked my straightened hair as we sat on the plane.

These past few days it was just my mom and me. As my parents' youngest child, I never knew what it was truly like to have the attention just on you. My mom wasn't super agitating when it was just the two of us.

In fact, I even enjoyed her company. We shopped, ate at a lot of restaurants, and tried new coffee shops. For a moment, I even thought that I would miss her for a minute.

Then we went to Colorado for our family winter vacation, and I quickly remembered why I choose to go to college in Texas.

The first few days it was just my mom, dad, Shawn, Sloane, and me which was hell in itself. Then when you mixed it in with the competitiveness of skiing and snowboarding that was a whole other ballgame.

So instead of competing with my cousins and other family members, I made myself comfy in the hot tub with a good book and a nice mug of hot chocolate.

Other than that, I had a good Christmas break. My highlight was celebrating in southern Florida with Ivy and her family. The weather was nice, I had a break from my family, and I got to spend a lot of much-needed time with my best friend.

But real life was back.

It was time to finish out the second half of senior year. 

"Good morning, Ro." my dad greeted me.

I was sitting down at the island eating my morning cereal with a fresh banana. 

"Morning Daddio." I looked up from my phone. He was wearing a dri-fit polo with some black golf plans. I see his plans for the day.

"Do you know what's on Friday night?" he tossed an apple into the air and caught it.

I shook my head. "Hannah is probably going to throw some kind of party, but I'm assuming that's not what you're talking about. So what is Pat Carroway excited about on Friday night?"

He looked at me as if I were crazy. "Rowan! Friday is our opening night for the bar! This is the one night that you're allowed in before you are twenty-one. Maybe you can bring Jonah as a date."

I never told them about what happened with Jonah. I probably should have, but then it was going to cause so much legal trouble and tension with his business partner (Jonah's dad) that I held back.

I always wondered what would have happened if Hayden wasn't close by or if he didn't do anything. It was a scary thought that I tried not to think about.

But I had an excellent date in mind. I needed to stir the pot.

I stood up and put my dish in the sink. "Don't worry, Dad, my schedule is clear and I'll be there to help you celebrate your big opening night."

"Thank you. Have a good day of senior year and finish this semester strong." my dad gave me a hug on my way out.

"I'll try." I gave him a smile.