15

"Hey, you." Ivy grinned as she sat down next to me as I stretched. This weekend was the best one I had in a while. It was so good I came into practice with a smile on my face. 

I smiled at her. "Hi. How was your day?"

"Good," she responded. "You know, I was talking to someone. You aren't dating Hayden are you?"

"Ivy!" I blurted out. "Why would I be dating him? Oh my gosh."

She shrugged. "You two seemed pretty cozy at your parents' bar opening on Friday night. Playing basketball, drinking mocktails, talking, would you get that? Talking and not fighting!" 

"No, I still can't stand him." I corrected her as I slid into my split.

Ivy tilted her head. "Really? Because when I talked to him earlier, he couldn't stop praising you and speaking ever so highly of Rowan Carroway."

Hayden was talking about me? Not even talking about me, but praising me? 

"He what? What did he say?" I could feel my heart speed up.

"So you care what he thinks?" she grinned.

Then I remembered what she would think. 

I shook my head. "No, no. I don't."

"Mhhm." Ivy hummed. "We're going drunk bowling on Saturday night for Bri's birthday. Isaiah is invited so naturally, his best friend will be there."

His best friend = Hayden.

"Thanks for the heads up." I looked at her.

She was smiling like the damn Cheshire cat. "It's going to be a great time."

I bet.

Cheer practice went well. There wasn't much to practice for now that football season was over. We went over chants for basketball games, and our routine for our state competition, and talked about the clinics we would be hosting in the spring. 

It was light work and I actually had fun.

"Carroway!" I heard a voice shout as I walked to my car.

I turned around to see the notorious Mr. Brooks looking all hot and sweaty from practice. Well, not hot in that way. At least I didn't want to let myself see him that way. 

"Brooks," I stated as he got closer to me.

"Awe it sounds so nice when you say it," Hayden smirked. "

I rolled my eyes."Is there anything that I can do for you?" 

"Nothing. I just haven't spoken to you since Saturday and I wanted to make sure that you were doing ok." Hayden said.

Don't tell me that you have a secret little crush on me, Hayden Brooks.

"Why wouldn't I be doing ok?" I wondered.

He shrugged. "I know that your parents don't really like me and you brought me to a very important event of theirs. Plus you and I didn't act like the typical Hayden and Rowan."

"What's the typical Hayden and Rowan?" I looked him in the eyes. I wanted to hear the differences from his perspective. 

"The version of us that was always at each other's throats and the snarky comments. Correct me if I'm wrong, but we actually had a good time together on Saturday. Plus I enjoyed the free food and coupons." he explained.

I frowned. "The free food and coupons, but not me? Low blow even for you."

"I thought the fact that I enjoyed time with you was a given." he smiled at me.