10.11

CHAPTER ELEVEN

Last Night on Earth

- - - - -

CORNER CAFE
NEW YORK

Ana tried her best to ignore the looks she was receiving as she ordered her eleventh overpriced coffee at the cafe, barely able to make out Tony's mechanic handwriting on the small pink post-it note stuck to her palm. It was close to eight in the morning, with a sliver of amber sunlight hitting the corner store windows. The people in line behind her audibly cursed and groaned out complaints at the delay. Ana had half a mind to toss them all into an endless falling loop, then thought of how she would react if she was held up by an insanely large coffee request and opted out of it... this time. It was day one of brainstorming their how's and where's to pull off Scott's Time Heist — mission title still pending. Back at the compound, everyone was awake whether they liked it or not. Some were irritable, which was why Tony suggested a quick coffee run to ease some nerves and warm some bellies. Ana pulled the short straw and had to make the trip into the city. After handing the barista the stack of money, Ana stepped aside and pulled out her phone when it buzzed.

"Don't forget the pastries." Ana read out quietly, and sighed, responding to Natasha's text with a thumbs up. She glanced up at the male barista and gained his attention with a mediocre hands up. "Hey, um, how long until everything's ready?" She asked in her nicest voice.

He gave her a blank stare. "Gotta be at least 30 minutes. Troy is out back looking for our biggest cup for Brian's order."

"Bruce." Ana corrected, then snagged a napkin on the table in front of her, writing down her number. "Do you mind giving me a call once it's ready? I'll be right back."

He shrugged and turned back to his machines. "Whatever man."

Ana suppressed an eye-roll towards the lanky teenager and turned on her heel and walked out of the cafe. She turned to the alleyway next-door and jumped into a portal. She was bumped into from behind. A pair of strong arms encased her waist and she was drawn into Matthew's firm chest, smiling when she could feel the vibrations his body made from the way he laughed. He hid his face in the crook of her neck, inhaling her sweet scent and pressed a light kiss on her shoulder. Ana closed her eyes with a delighted hum and covered his roughed up hands with her own, "Mmm, good morning Matty."

"Morning, Ana." His breath tickled the skin behind her ear and she held down a shiver. Ana turned around and she rushed to kiss his lips, missing his touch for the last couple of days. The feeling was more than mutual. Matt placed one hand on the side of her face, thumb running over her cheek bone and angling her face so he could deepen the moment between them. Ana ran her fingers along his waistband, finding his shirt was tucked into his pants. She broke away and looked down at his clothes, finally seeing him dressed in a suit, ready for an honest days work.

"Maybe later." She mumbled to herself and pecked his lips twice more. Matt's eyebrows rose from her statement and he smirked down at her, eyes hidden behind his crimson shakes. She didn't have to see them to know they shined with mirth. She shook her head silently and picked up each end of the tie that was loose around his neck, beginning a knot.

"You know, you now have a key to this place. Not that I don't like having you literally drop in out of nowhere..." Matt began to say, hands on her hips as he walked backwards, leading her to the round table behind him. He sat on the edge of the furniture and parted his legs enough for Ana to stand in-between them comfortably. He knew she had struggles with making a presentable tie.

Ana squinted at him. "It was a spur of the moment kinda thing, Red. Besides, the key is in my bag which is back at the compound. I'll be heading back there soon. We've got a lot of work to do." She told him.