9.6

CHAPTER SIX

Fate Wills Them So

- - - - -

SPACE

"Marcus, you with us?"

Thor's frown deepened when his friend hadn't responded to the sound if his voice. He looked over at Rocket Raccoon who was piloting the pod they were clustered in to Nidavellir — a neutron star and one of the Nine Realms, home to the Dwarves. It was there that Thor hoped to retrieve a Thanos killing weapon. Nidavellir was the birthplace of his beloved hammer, Mjölnir, as well as the Sentinel's Sword of Light. Marcus hadn't spoken since the Guardians of the Galaxy had saved them from drifting off into space. It was as if his mind was elsewhere. Roaming the galaxies. Searching for something. Anything to fan the flame of hope that was beginning to die out inside of him.

Rocket lifted his shoulders in a shrug when Thor glanced at him and turned back to face the front. "The living legend isn't exactly in a talking mood, I presume." Rocket said, then on a quieter note added, "Kind of a bummer..."

"I am Groot?" Groot mumbled, eyes glued to his gaming device.

Thor laid back in his seat and sighed. "Marcus, you must focus. This isn't the time to hide in your head. It's one of the things you and Ana have in common."

Rocket stiffened when he caught the reflection of Marc's eyes glow on the windshield in front of him in response to Thor's words. Thor hadn't moved when Marcus leaned forward, hands curling into fiery fists on his knees. Their eyes met and Marcus clenched his jaw.

"I can't see her."

Thor didn't even have to ask who Marcus was referring to. His brows furrowed when Marcus let out a heavy exhale like he had been holding his breath ever since they got on the pod. As the air escaped his lungs, the light in his eyes and hands faded away. "Ana will be fine." Thor assured, tone softening. "She's never not been fine as long as I've known her."

"Your version of fine is not dead." Marc retorted. "My mind is a web of new and old memories collapsing onto each other. It's exhausting and it makes it hard to focus. I just want to know if she's okay. That is all."

Rocket spun in his seat to face the two

Rocket spun in his seat to face the two. "I still can't believe that you're her father. It explains a lot about her. Like the fact that she's a grade A fighter. She's stronger than most of the bad guys we've been up against. That includes a literal planet."

Marcus sent Thor an apologetic look to which the Thunderer waved off, "Try to rest. You're old and tired and I need you to be at your fullest for when we face Thanos." Thor told him.

"You sure you're up for this particular murder mission?" Rocket asked, concern lining his voice when he noticed the looks on their faces. They were worn out. Physically and emotionally.