6.2

CHAPTER TWO

Reminisce

- - - - -

WAKANDA

Ana tossed around in her sleep, eyes darting about underneath her eyelids. It was the middle of the night and she tugged at the bed sheets, finding it to be too hot all of a sudden. A slight thump of her head turned it a full blown migraine as flashes of unfamiliar surroundings took hold of her dreaming state.

Marcus opened his eyes, gasping for breath.

What he saw wasn't the red skies of his home, instead, a deep green atmosphere. The only sounds he could hear was of the sharp winds and rustling grass. The adrenaline he had while fighting against the destroyers of his world started to wear off, and his wounds seared with white hot pain. He clutched his head with his bloodied hands, letting out a cry of agony when he all of a sudden realised what happened. His world was dead, and everyone on it.

Marcus was all that was left.

He glanced up at the emerald clouds, hating how tranquil they seemed. He hated the colour of the sky because it wasn't the one he would dream about reaching when he was a child. He hated the grass underneath him that gave him a soft place to lay and rest. He hated how quiet it was knowing that on his world, it would be buzzing with life.

Marcus debated completing the destruction of his race.

The dark idea was pushed aside when he thought he heard something. Screams. Pleas. Cries. Marc lifted himself up even though his mind protested moving in such a bad state. He looked around at the unfamiliar earth he fell upon, and tried to pinpoint the noise. He could make out a small village at the bottom of the hill he was on, and squinted at the chaos below. Beings with different coloured skin and extra limbs were being thrown out of their own homes and into a growing circle that was surrounded by another species carrying weapons. Marc assumed the ones carrying weapons were soldiers, and not the good type.

He threw one hand over his sliced torso and managed to get to his feet. He shuffled his way down the hill, finding cover behind a series of short fruit trees with thick trunks. He rested his shoulder against one and pulled back a low hanging branch. He spotted a taller, more distinguished being in gold armour. He was commanding his army of Chitauri to wipe out half of the group. Marc couldn't get a proper look at the beings face and moved to get closer.

"Rejoice, for the Titan has decided to free you from starvation and poverty." One of his inner circle individuals had stopped in front of another, more huddled group of the villagers. He was lanky, and had his hands knotted together as he addressed the soon-to-be survivors of a dying race. "By liberating fifty percent of your people of their lives."

Marcus narrowed his eyes. They were going to kill half of the villagers, and for what? Just to save on resources? To share the wealth around equally? Marc knew this wasn't his home, but he couldn't just stand by and watch as loved ones were being forced apart, as children were being ripped away from their parents. He watched it happen on his world, and if he had the chance, he would go back and prevent it from happening. But he couldn't for his world. Maybe this time, for this world, he could. He would. He had to.

"Join me, survivors." The Maw raised his delicate hands above the crying people, and smiled despite the situation unfolding. "Express your gratitude for what's about to occur."