10.13

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

Let Me Go

- - - - -

AVENGERS COMPOUND

Natasha studied Ana through the reflection in wall length mirror in front of her. She didn't try very hard to stop the delighted smirk from gracing her lips when Ana flailed once again in the background, a mess of pale limbs and loose braids. Michaels cursed down at her own feet. The silk ballet slippers in royal blue had seemingly hexed her balance as soon as she put them on. She could hear Steve chuckle under his breath all the way from across the gymnasium as he sized up a fresh punching bag. Just as Captain America sent a swift right jab at the bag, his hand went clean through, the sand inside the sack melting with goo-like consistency down his forearm. He sighed, lowering his head before looking over his shoulder at Ana, who saluted him mockingly, a trail of ruby mystic runes following her fingers.

"Ana, focus up here." Natasha's voice made Ana turn back around to face her. It was the Russian language that had Ana bowing her head almost instantly. She cringed then. Muscle memory. Lately it had been ticking away. A life she thought long gone had come back to her in small ways. It was concerning the others. Natasha told them it was the stress that was getting to her, and that no one should doubt Ana's ability to keep herself level. Romanoff even proposed a few routine changes. Like ballet Mondays.

"See? Happened again." Ana mumbled, running her clammy hands down her training gear. Tony had designed it special. As with the rest of the team's gear. He liked personalising things for them.

Natasha raised a brow in response. "Oh, so you weren't just being respectful?"

Ana's expression closed up. "Don't, Nat. I'm freaking out enough as is. I don't need Hydra Ana coming out to play."

Natasha took a moment to reply. All she could do was analyse Ana's every move. Over the past few weeks, she had to admit to seeing a difference in subtle mannerism, expressions and postures. When Ana would enter the kitchen in the mornings, instead of an unguarded shuffle inside, she'd pause at the doorway making herself aware of anyone inside. When the rhythmic sound of heavily beaten punching bags filled the air in the gym, Ana would stiffen and face the source of the noise. Natasha noticed it again as Steve started his training routine only an hour earlier that day.

"Relax, that's not happening. Not when I'm around." Natasha promised.

Ana nodded, letting out a breath. "Right."

Natasha stepped back so she was shoulder to shoulder with Ana. "Remember the warm up?" She questioned, giving her a side glance.

Ana adjusted her stance so it mirrored Natasha's. Nat nudged Ana's torso so it was straighter. Ana lifted her chin and looked at Natahsa through the mirror. "I think so."

"Let's get started."

The Infinity Stones were kept locked and secured inside a reinforced glass chamber. While the rest of the team went off to get some rest, Ana found herself roaming the laboratory, unable to settle down for the night. Her eyes were begging to close and her aching head craved the touch of a soft pillow. She couldn't sleep. Nothing could stop her thoughts from racing. Natasha, who had only been right next to her less than four hours ago, had just up and vanished from her life completely. Ana couldn't get over how quick it happened. Clint had painstakingly shared with Ana his final moments with Romanoff. She knew everything. Natasha had sacrificed herself for the Soul Stone as the only way to obtain it from Vormir was by giving up someone you loved wholly and unconditionally. A soul for a soul. Clint and Natasha had fought each other for the fall. Barton was ready and willing to make the sacrifice after all the atrocities he had committed as Ronin. He saw it as a way to make up for his mistakes. Natasha didn't share his perspective. She believed he had a chance to make it right. And that if their plan was successful, he would be reunited with his wife and kids.