9.4

CHAPTER FOUR

Earth Is Closed Today

- - - - -

THE BENATAR
SPACE

Peter Quill wasn't one for surprises.

Wait, that's not true.

Peter loved surprises. He loved getting gifts and compliments — which was rare given the company he keeps. He liked knowing what going to happen and pretending to be overwhelmed by the outcome. He only liked surprises when they gave him a positive feeling. Happiness. Joy. Excitement.

Not dread.

So when he and his team made it to the coordinates Ana had sent them that was twenty or so jump points out of Asgard, he couldn't believe his eyes. His heart seized in his throat. There were bodies everywhere. Dead bodies. Floating around. Some of them disappearing into the dark depths below. The Statesman vessel was nothing but scrap metal. Space junk. It had been blown apart by something undeniably powerful. Pieces as small as dust hit the windshield of the Benatar, leaving traces of graphite-like streaks along the glass. Peter leaned forward in his seat, hands gripping the controls as he slowed the ship down to assess the damage.

Mantis gasped at the surroundings. "What happened?" She questioned.

Rather than answering the question the entire team had on their minds, Peter breathed out a soft, "Oh, my God." His face fell when he remembered Ana's distress call, and a bad feeling made it's way to his gut. Gamora's thought process shifted as she studied the bodies, searching for their on-again, off-again team member. She could see mainly men and women among the dead and forgotten. But no Ana.

Rocket hit his fists on his armrest. "Looks like we're not getting paid." He said.

Before Gamora could respond with a snarky comment about Rocket's lack of sympathy towards the dead, a loud thump got her attention focused on the body that suddenly collided with the cockpit window. It was a man. One of his eyes was covered in a metal patch while the other one snapped open, revealing a lightning blue iris. Everyone inside exclaimed at the sight.

 Everyone inside exclaimed at the sight

"Whoa!" Drax shouted.

Groot looked up from his video-game if only for a second.

Rocket waved his hand around, yelling out, "Wipers! Wipers! Get it off!"

Peter looked beyond the male who was still alive on their windshield to a flickering light. Dull blue bursts of energy in the midst of the bodies urged him to advance forward carefully as Drax proceeded to ready himself to retrieve the man on their ship.

Gamora faced Peter, "What is it, Quill?" She questioned quietly. Peter turned to look back at Gamora, lips parting slightly.

"There's another one."