6.4

CHAPTER FOUR

Happy Birthday, James

- - - - -

WAKANDA

"Bucky!"

James Barnes awoke with a start, eyes flying open as he gasped for breath. The soft mattress underneath him dipped as he sat upright, and the sheets that provided him with warmth draped around his waist, exposing his uncovered chest to the chilling temperature in the room. He raised his one hand to his head where he could hear his own blood rushing through his ears. He clenched his eyes shut, fuming from the moment he witnessed in his dream. This time, it wasn't a memory, but a messed up series of images full of blood and tears and pain. And this time, Ana was in the middle of it all.

It had been her scream in the nightmare that forced him to wake up, and as he turned to look down at her resting form, his heart rate dropped slowly, and his breathing evened out. She's okay, he thought to himself, releasing a heavy sigh. He was thankful she hadn't gotten up because he knew she was having trouble sleeping lately with all of the sudden flood of her father's memories. Bucky gently raised the sheets over her shoulders, and tucked a strand of her hair behind her ear. Ana fidgeted from the light touch, and her eyes cracked open. When she saw that Bucky was up, she compelled herself to push away the drowsiness and question him.

"Bucky?" She called, "What's wrong?"

"Nothing." He replied quietly, sliding back under the covers. He looped his arm around her waist, shuffling closer to her. "Go back to sleep."

Ana couldn't stop herself from yawning, and she shook her head at him. "If you're having nightmares..."

"I wasn't. I was just cold." He replied.

Ana grinned lazily then, and rested her head against his naked shoulder. "That's because you don't wear a shirt to bed."

"I thought you liked it that way." Bucky chuckled out.

"Oh, I do." Ana whispered, eyes dropping. "But I don't want you to feel cold."

"I've got you to hold." Bucky said softly, slinging his arm over her torso and settling his hand on her back. Ana let out a tired sigh, enjoying the feel of his hand drawing circles on her back, and kissed his shoulder.

"Charming." Ana hummed. "Get some rest, Buck."

"I'll try."

- - -

"So you watch him do that all day?"

Natasha was watching Ana who was watching Bucky as he, along with Steve and Sam, worked to build another addition to the stables. The oversized rhinos were taking up all the room, leaving limited space for all the other animals, and Bucky had offered to find a solution when he spoke with T'Challa early in the morning over breakfast. Ana threw Natasha a quirked brow in response, and laughed.

"Not all day." Ana replied, taking her eyes off the man she adored. "I help out where I'm needed. Though whenever I'm free, I do make sure to drop by and... appreciate the view." She smirked, as Natasha nudged her shoulder with her own.

Natasha motioned to Ana's phone where it was opened on the messages app. "And who are you talking to about a cake?" She asked, leaning on her hands behind her and basking in the suns rays.

Ana quickly sent Shuri a text before clicking off her phone and shrugging. "Oh, you know, just trying to organise a small party for the birthday boy."