2.1

CHAPTER ONE

Crossing Paths

- - - - -

ANA'S APARTMENT
QUEENS, NEW YORK

"Oh, crap..."

Ana almost jumped back into the portal when she saw the dreadful clutter in her apartment. She frowned, feeling the exhaustion finally creep in. But there wasn't any time for that. She could hear police officers on the ground discuss the problem on the top floor. Her floor. She had about ten minutes before they would step inside, and she rushed to collect all of her personal belongings.

How was she going to explain it? 'Officer, what went down a few days ago was a fight till the death between myself and a extraterrestrial being called a Skrull. He was about six feet tall, green skin, purple onesie, with pointy ears and a killer smile. But you won't find him on Earth, because I sent him to another realm with my Mystic Arts.'

Ana threw open a large suitcase on her bed, and ran back and forth with heaps of clothes in her arms. Once she packed them all, she shoved the Hydra files of her parents inside. She skidded to a stop at the large shelf of weapons and pushed the entire thing into a portal to her room at the Avengers Facility. She did not want to lose those, especially since most of them were mystical equipment.

The elevator dinged at her floor and she snapped her head towards the doorway, listening to two pairs of footsteps getting louder. Panic set in and she grabbed her suitcase and threw it in the portal too, before closing it completely. She made a break for the open window and she was halfway out of it, when she noticed the blinking device under a pile of wood. The Skrull's transmitter. She could hear the officers much more clearly now. Ana took the risk and used her Eldritch Whip to latch onto the device before releasing her hold on the window sill and falling.

The police officers both grabbed the handgun when they heard a noise inside the apartment. They dashed inside and did a quick sweep of the floor. The men looked at one another in confusion, before holstering their weapons.

Ana landed on the sidewalk, tripping towards the side of the building. She pressed her back against the brick wall to avoid the cops from seeing her from her window, and she heaved for breath. She felt content in knowing her belongings were safe, and she looked down at the device in her hands, turning it over when she heard the police walk back into her old apartment.

Someone cleared their throat in front of her and she didn't pay too much attention. As she began to walk with her focus solely on the transmitter, a hand was wrapped around her elbow and she was forced to turn around. A police woman stood in front of her, lips pressed into a hard line as she peered down at Ana with stern eyes.

"Are you the owner of the apartment on the top floor?"

Ana gulped. "Y-Yes?"

"Come with me."

NYPD PRECINCT

"Sit down."

Ana was nudged into a metal chair. She plonked down on it, the handcuffs around her wrists clinking as the chains bounced about. She gave Ingrid, the police officer that took her in, a sigh, showing her that she was completely at ease. Of course there was the possibility that they would keep her in for questioning for a long while, but really, Ana had nothing to hide. Well, she did, it was just that she knew what to tell them to get herself out of the precinct. She couldn't exactly run or show her abilities when the officer approached her. And it wouldn't look good if she had made a break for it. The only way she could leave without any other problems was to cooperate fully.