5.3

CHAPTER THREE

Close Calls

- - - - -

SANCTUM SANCTORUM
NEW YORK

"Morning, Wong."

Ana offered the sorcerer a wave as he made his way into the kitchen where she was making breakfast. He could smell the sweet scent of tea all way from his room. At first, he assumed Stephen was brewing a cup for himself. He raised his eyebrows at the brunette, and sat down behind the table she was preparing food on. Ana set down a cup of tea in front of him, and he lifted the drink up to his lips.

"Hello, Ana. It's good to have you back." He nodded, and sipped the tea. He swished the liquid around in his mouth, before swallowing. "Do I detect honey?" He questioned.

Ana smiled in confirmation, and retrieved a few plates from the overhead cupboards. "Yes, I know how you like your tea. Just like home, right? Anyway, how've you been?" She asked, plating up fruits and pancakes.

"Fine. I've been working on a book." Wong replied, reaching for an apple.

Ana's interest was piqued, and she leaned on the table with her elbows, resting her chin on her closed fist. "Really? What about?"

Stephen walked in, cleanly shaven and dressed in one of his casual outfits. A lighter one than his usual attire. He smiled at Ana when she waved a plate of pancakes in the air, directing him to sit down next to Wong. He had picked up on their conversation before entering the kitchen, and shot Ana a doubtful glance.

"He hasn't said anything to me so I doubt-" Stephen began to say before Wong spoke over him.

"I've been documenting these last few years since you and Stephen have learned the ways of the Mystic Arts. Much has happened between the time since you first arrived at Kamar-Taj and today. There will continue to be more Masters of the Mystic Arts. Then more. And so on. They must know the past, just as you learned it from The Ancient One." Wong said, drinking his tea. "This is good tea."

Ana sent Stephen a smirk. "I guess we know who his favourite is." She then grinned at Wong. "And thank you, I'm glad you like it."

Stephen sent Wong a deadpanned look, raising his hands briefly before letting them slap at his sides. "I'm the one who brings you tea."

Wong didn't look away from his breakfast as he replied. "You only bring me tea when you want something. Like yesterday morning, you used tea as an excuse to barge in and find out what I was up to."

"I was curious!" Stephen argued. "You holed yourself up there for days on end-"

Wong sent Stephen a side glance. "It was only fifteen minutes."

Ana laughed at their bickering, deciding to eat and enjoy the show. She hadn't experienced another memory of her father's since last night, but she had this feeling she would soon. And instead of becoming overwhelmed by the process, she wanted to welcome it.

"These are great." Stephen changed the subject, throwing Ana a thumbs up as he nodded his head at the pancakes.

Ana laughed to herself. "Thank you. I got them from the store around the block."

Stephen paused mid chew and shot her an amused look. Ana and Stephen whipped their heads in Wong's direction when he let out a foreign sound. It almost resembled a human laugh.

"What was that?" Ana questioned as Wong shook his head, calming his laughter down to a quiet chuckle as he enjoyed his breakfast.

"I think he let out a sound of amusement." Stephen answered as they both eyed Wong.