(3-4) A Scientific Breakthrough

"So explain to me again what this does?" The man asked. He was a scientist currently inspecting a new drug that his workers had created. His workers being Okuda and Takabayashi from E class.

"Essentially, it's a type of tissue that when inserted into the body will rapidly recreate to repair damaged tissue." Takabayashi replied.

"So how does it work?" The scientist- whose name was Klein- asked again.

"A new, investigational cell we dubbed the 'tentacle cell' after its initial use is capable of rapidly reproducing to repair itself in a matter of seconds. All it needs is for the DNA of the recipient to be injected into the nucleus of the tentacle cell for it to work." Takabayashi answered the nice again. Okuda was present, but stood in the corner. She was the silent type, a little awkward in conversation but a brilliant mind.

Klein went silent for a minute as he thought about the potential applications of this new drug.

"Forget stem cell research, this 'tentacle cell' could revoluionise modern medicine. People would no longer have to wait for an organ donor- they could just grow it themselves. You two are the greatest scientists on the planet in terms of medicine. You should be pleased with yourselves." Klein said rather rapidly. He was excited about the possible applications for tentacle cells.

"We are sir." Takabayashi replied. Okuda nodded in agreement.

"I'll go take this to get it mass produced. You two, take some time off yeah?"

"Yeah." They both said in unison.

Klein walked swiftly out of the building holding the small vial containing tentacle cells. Takebayashi and Okuda both breathed a long sigh of relief.

"We did it Kotaro" Okuda exclaimed. (Kotaro is Takabayashi's first name for anyone wondering.) Kotaro smiled as he looked down on Okuda.

"The congratulations should go to you Okuda. If you hadn't remembered Kayano may still have tentacle cell residue from her resurrection, we wouldn't be here."

"Well, I suppose we better thank Kayano as well then."

"Yeah, next time she comes to Japan, we will take her out to dinner, do something nice."

"Agreed." Okuda nodded.

Their conversation was cut short by the souls of a gunshot. The pair ducked down involuntarily and stayed down for half a minute. Shortly after, they realised that the bullet had in fact come from the hallway outside the lab. The hallway where Klein had just left through.

"Shit, Klein." Okuda whispered. Takabayashi sniggered at this as this was the first time he had heard Okuda swear.

The pair looked at each other, nodded, and ran through the opaque sliding doors into the hallway.

The lifeless body of Klein was stretched out Infront of them. The saw a streak of blood splattered up the wall next to his head. The killing shot had been a single bullet to the head, most likely shot by a sniper due to the shattered window next to him.

Takabayashi sighed and ran up to Klein's body, dragging it back into the lab which had no windows save for a single large window in the ceiling. They would be safe here for the time being.

The pair swiftly checked Klein's pockets for the sample, finding it undamaged. They realised that the person who killed Klein must have been after this. They also realised that there was most likely two attackers- the sniper and someone in the building to get the sample. They were not safe here.

A singular gas canister rolled into the room. Okuda recognised it immediately. It was a kind of nervous gas that would cause all your muscles to spasm uncontrollably if breathed in. She quickly held her breath and covered Takabayashi's mouth with her hand. They then began to walk slowly towards the exit.

They emerged from the gas covered room and collapsed onto the floor, taking in deep breaths. That was untill a figure stood over them.

"Well done you two. You know your chemicals well. But, now it is time for you to die." The man spoke with a cold tone. Takabayashi smiled for a split second before carefully hiding his smile.

"Do you mind telling us who would have the honour of killing us?" He asked. The assassin laughed.

"The name's smog. You know, the guy who served you drinks on Okinawa and poisoned your friends. This time however, it's for rea-"

Smog suddenly stopped speaking and cried out in pain as electricity surged through his body. He collapsed onto the floor to reveal the smiling figure of Justice Kimura behind. Kimura smiled and held out his hand for the two scientists to get up.

"Why are you here Justice?" Okuda asked.

"I heard a gunshot and came running. It's much more fun than being out in patrol anyway. Let's go."

After helping them up, Kimura began to run down the hallway followed by the two scientists. As he rounded the corner at the end of the hallway, he doubled over in pain as a large fist slammed into his stomach.

"We meet again nu." The new man said, picking Kimura up by the face. "Now, you are going to give me the sample else I crush this man's head like an apple."

Both Okuda and Takabayashi frowned as their eyes lit up in fear. Then, Takabayashi did something unexpected. He pulled the vial out of his pocket and walked towards the man and handed it to him. The man let go of Kimura's face and took the vial.

"You really think I am just going to let you out alive? Hahaha. Ol' Grip is gonna crush some skulls." The last line he shouted in an excitable tone.

Grip lunged towards Kotaro who narrowly dodged the strike. Grip continued advancing, pushing Kotaro further and further down the hallway.

Takabayashi tripped over the still form of smog. In the few seconds of his fall, he accepted his fate. If he was to die here, then so be it.

Kimura had other ideas. He rammed his stun gun into Grip's back, letting electricity surge through the large man's body.

Nothing happened.

Grip laughed.

"That tickled." He sniggered as he turned around to face Kimura. In that split second, he realised his mistake. Where had that s all girl gone? He found out soon enough.

Okuda stepped up to the back of Grip and rammed a needle into his neck, injecting some kind of red liquid into his neck.

Grip turned around, nocking Okuda flying into the wall. He then sunk to on knee, his face distorted in pain. He clasped the side of his neck in pain. Finally, he then collapsed and lay still. Okuda began to cry.

"What's wrong Okuda?" Kimura asked as he ran up and knelt down beside her.

"I-I just killed a man." She whimpered.

"Woah, what did you inject into him."

"Me and Kotaro accidentally made a type of blood that reacts so violently with other blood types it can kill someone. I didn't realise it did so that fast." Tears were now streaming out of her eyes and forming a puddle on her lab jacket.

"Just remember, he would have killed you so easily Okuda." Kimura reassured her. Okuda nodded reluctantly. "Now, let's get to the station so I can find you some protection."

The pair of scientists nodded in agreement as they followed Kimura out of the building and into his car. They met no resistance, which was strange as they expected to encounter the sniper from earlier. They thought nothing of it though. He may have witnessed what happened to his friends and ran. He would if he was smart after all.

Meanwhile, somewhere else in Japan, a man hung up from a phone.

"A bent police man. I am a genius. Another three down." He shouted as he ferociously tore three more pictures down from his board of faces and ripped them into shreds.

"I know who you are Shiota. I know what you will do to protect your friends. We will meet Shiota. You better be ready."