(5-10) The End of Summer

It was two days before the end of the summer break, and a festival had come to their area of Tokyo. All the students were there, the girls in traditional summer dresses, and the boys in smart clothes. All the students were enjoying themselves, well, apart from Natsumi, who was absent from the festivities.

Chie had been messaging her all of the past week since the funeral, trying to arrange a time and a place to meet up. Natsumi simply hadn't responded, something which was quite unlike the girl. She seemed glues to her phone most of the time.

Chie spent the first hour of the festival walking around in circles, trying to find Natsumi. It was very unlike her to miss a festival. But, alas, Chie's efforts bore no fruit. Natsumi simply wasn't there. Something definitely wasn't right. It seemed as if she was purposely avoiding something, or someone. Was she trying to avoid Chie?

Yes. Chie thought. She definitely is avoiding me. But why? Does she think I'll be angry at her for kissing Saiki? Is she scared of me? But why would she be scared of me? I'm small, weak, she could overpower me easily. Unless- no! Just no!

Does she also like Saiki? On the mountain, she admitted to having a crush on Nagisa Sensei, but she would get nowhere with him, he's gay. But Saiki is similar in personality to Nagisa. Is that why she likes him?

Thinking about Saiki made her realise something. She had been so caught up in her hatred towards Natsumi that she forgot what she was putting off. Saiki. She wanted to deal with Natsumi before going out with him, but now had no idea how long that would take. She couldn't wait any longer. Now, it was time for her to find Saiki and begin their relationship.

The rest of the class were located in the centre of the festival, chatting, eating, playing games at one of the numerous stalls, and just generally having a good time. Michio had not yet arrived. He had arrived back from Kyoto just that noon and had a lot of unpacking to do. He would be there shortly however.

Fujikawa was sat by herself on the edge of the central area. She was watching everyone enjoy themselves, and smiling as she did. She was at peace. That peace, however, was interrupted by Shizuka who walked over to her, and began a conversation.

"Fujikawa." Shizuka began. "There's something I need to ask you."

The taller girl was surprised. What does she have to ask me?

"Sure, what do you need to ask?" She replied.

"You remember that night on the mountain, where we all talked about our crushes?"

"Yeah, what about it?"

"And do you remember how I said Michio?"

Fujikawa's smile disappeared and was temporarily replaced with a frown. She quickly turned her frown back to a smile as to hide all emotion.

"Yes. I do remember." She replied, trying to keep scorn out of her tone.

"Well, I want to ask him out, and since you seem to be his best friend, I hoped you could help me."

The frown appeared once more on Fujikawa's face.

"Shizuka," she began, sighing, "may I give you some advice."

"Hm? Yeah, if course."

"Don't pursue this matter any further."

Shizuka's face turned from showing her happiness at being at the festival, to a face of anger.

"And why not?" She demanded.

"He's told me who is crush is, and it isn't you. Save yourself the pain and don't ask him out. For your own good."

If you listened closely, you could hear a slight undertone of attitude in Fujikawa's voice.

"And who is his crush them?" The smaller girl replied.

"Now that would be telling."

"Well, thanks. I guess."

Shizuka turned her back on Fujikawa and walked back towards the large congregation of people, her head hung low and a frown upon her face.

Michio arrived half an hour later and was greeted by all his classmates. All apart from Shizuka. He looked around, trying to find her, finally spotting her over the other end of the festival. He decided to go say hello.

She saw him coming and scowled to herself. Sure he was her friend, but she didn't want to speak with him right now, not after what Fujikawa had said. Michio noticed this as he approached and a confused look spread across his face.

"Hey, Shizuka, are you all right stood over here by yourself?" He asked, concerned.

"Yeah, I'm fine I guess." She sighed. This made Michio even more confused.

"You sure? You don't sound fine." He said. She frowned in response.

"I just, don't want to speak with anyone right now. Goodbye Michio."

She walked away from him, leaving him stood there confused. She was annoyed. Annoyed that her feelings weren't mutual. Annoyed that it was Fujikawa that he had confided in and not her.

She left the festival and headed home. She needed to be alone.

After greeting Michio, the crowd of classmates began to disperse. A few moments later, they watched as Shizuka stormed out of the festival, walking straight past them. They looked at each other quizzically before Aya decided to go see what was wrong, but when she also left the festival, Shizuka had already disappeared. She planned to message her later.

Saiki began walking away from the crowd when he heard someone run up behind him.  It was Chie, with a huge smile on her face.

"Hey Chie." He greeted. "Did you manage to find Natsumi yet?"

"No." She sighed. "It seems as though she is avoiding me for some reason. But, enough about her, Saiki. I'm sorry."

"Sorry? What for? I'm the one who should still be apologizing."

"I'm sorry that I made you wait while I tried to find Natsumi. I can't wait much longer. Saiki." She began speaking in a much more confident voice. "Will you be my boyfriend?"

Saiki paused for a moment and smiled.

"Yes." He said. "Of course."

She flung herself against him and embraced him. He was stunned for a second by the speed and force of her hug, but smiled and wrapped his arms around her. The both smiled. They had finally gotten what they wanted.

And that was the end of the summer break. In just over a day, they would be heading back to their school for their second semester. They had five months left to assassinate their teacher, or study enough to pass the finals. It was about to get much harder.

AUTHORS NOTE:
Okay, so that is another arc done. Sorry for this being a bit late, I had some stuff going on IRL that I had to get done first.

When I started writing this arc, it was ment to be a more light-hearted arc, after arc four, but it ended up being a bit more emotional than I was expecting.

Finally, thank you so much for 6k reads. It's more than I thought I was going to get.

See you next time!
Love y'all!