(3-9) Assassination

Saiki and Hirose woke early at approximately five o'clock. This was much earlier than normal, but today was special. They had a job to do.

After a very fast breakfast, the pair grabbed their school supplies and left the house. Instead of walking towards the school however, they walked in the opposite direction towards the train station. They were tasked with collecting the paintball guns with which they were going to assassinate their teacher.

Half an hour later, they arrived at the station near the decrepit campus of Kunukigaoka junior high. They headed towards the school. As the front gates came into view, they switched their path to the small, well hidden path that led up the hill to the satellite campus.

There was a gate blocking the way up. When they had came here before on the school trip, the gate had already been unlocked so they didn't pay much attention to it. They halted and stared at the gate for a while.

"Saiki, give me a leg up, I'll run up the hill and get the stuff." Hirose suggested.

"Are you sure?" Saiki replied. "It's a steep path and a lot to carry."

"Do you see another way?"

"That convenient hole in the fence right there." Saiki pointed to a spot about five metres from where they currently were. Just as he had said, the fence in that area had been pulled up half a metre from the ground. Not much, but just enough to allow them both to squeeze through. From there, it was a shortish walk up the hill considering the fast pace they were traveling at, before they reached the campus.

Once again, they were stumped by a lock. This time, it was on the door to the outdoor shed.

"I wish Fujikawa was here." Saiki moaned. Fujikawa was capable of picking locks, the only person Saiki knew who could. Hirose nodded in agreement.

"Do you think they would mind if we broke a window?" Hirose suggested.

"Probably not." Came the reply.

Hirose picked up a largeish rock and threw it at the window, shattering it instantly. From there, the hard work was done. All they had to do now was to carry as many paintball guns as they could down the hill.

About two hours later, the Akio twins crashed through the classroom door, half an hour late for class.

"Saiki, Hirose, where have you two been?" Nagisa asked.

"We overslept, we're sorry Sensei." Saiki said with his hand down. Hirose swiftly also lowered her head.

"Hmm, it's ok. Just take your seats, you didn't miss much. Now, as I was saying...."

Nagisa continued teaching the lesson. It was more revision for their first semester finals. As he was teaching, he was aware of notes being passed around the class. He didn't say anything at first, but as more and more notes were passed, he had to think of something.

He finished what he was writing on the board and then underneath, wrote 'i can see you passing notes.'

At first, nothing happened. However, students slowly began realising what he had written and sat upright, looking straight ahead, trying not to look suspicious. This caused Nagisa to laugh.

"Nice idea with the note system, just be a bit more careful next time. Remember people have peripheral vision."

The students groaned. Nagisa rubbed out the last sentence he wrote on the board and carried on teaching, turning around at irregular intervals to try and catch a note being passed. He saw nothing. The students had either stopped altogether, or followed his advice and been a bit more subtle.

When lunch time arrived, all the students left the classroom, much to Nagisa's surprise. He got his own lunch out from his bag and began eating alone. He was actually glad the students weren't here today. Karma had made him lunch and put it inside a pink Princess lunch box. Where he got that from, Nagisa had no idea. He didn't even know they owned one.

Half way through his meal, Nagisa noticed that there was a phone lying in the middle of the hallway just outside his room. He got up from his chair and walked over. After inspecting the phone, he realised that it belonged to Fujikawa. She was always on her phone in lessons. He decided to go give it back to her, and to find out where all his students had ran off to, as he wondered where they had gone.

He entered the school yard, to see no student in sight. He looked around, searching hard for them. Eventually, he saw Fujikawa running towards him.

"Ahh, Fujikawa, you have dropped your phone." The bluenette said.

"Thanks so much Sensei, I thought I had lost it for good."

"Be more careful next time."

"So should you."

"Huh?"

Nagisa looked around and saw what she meant. Tatsuo, Hideo and Aya had arranged themselves in a triangle shape around him. They were all wielding paintball guns. Nagisa quickly began to try and escape the triangle, but a line of paint pellets stopped him.

All three of the people on the triangle fired their pellets in a triangle shape. The pellets moved too fast for Nagisa  to dodge. He considers ducking under the pellets, but if he did he would be such an easy target. Also, if he tried to jump over, they student could just move their aim up to tag him. He would have to wait untill the students had to reload.

Shortly, the paint stopped for a second before continuing. Nagisa looked at the students around him and realised that one student has joined each corner of the triangle and that they took turns firing while the other reloaded. It was quite clever. The rest of the students had gather around the triangle, there to try and assassinate Nagisa with knives if he got out of the paint triangle. Wait. Saiki was still no-where to be seen.

The students adjusted their aim, bringing the lines closer together and decreasing the space Nagisa had in the centre. The bluenette started to panic slightly. The students may have won. He was yet to locate Saiki and still had no idea how he was going to escape.

He saw a glint if a rifle by the corner of the yard. He had found Saiki. He was holding a sniper rifle, and it was pointed directly at him.

The triangle was now very tight around Nagisa. If he moved, he would certainly get hit. It was only a matter of time untill Saiki shot and he would be eliminated.

Nagisa sighed. I didn't expect it to be this quick, but it was a fun game. Good luck in life students. You have graduated now.

His hands brushed by his sides. There was something in his pocket. A pencil.

At just the right moment, Nagisa pulled the pencil out of his pocket and threw it at Tatsuo's hand. It hit, the tip sticking into his hand. Tatsuo's aim dropped, giving Nagisa just enough time to get out of the triangle before he regained his senses. At this moment, Saiki had also shot at the point where Nagisa was. The pellet missed completely and hit Hideo in the face blinding him. Hideo stopped firing, completely breaking the triangle.

The rest of the class descended in Nagisa, randomly trying to slash him with their knives. This part of the attack was unorganized. He could tell by the lack of structure that the students had assumed he would be taken out in the first attempt. A foolish mistake to make.

Nagisa easily beat them, avoiding every strike, and made it back to the school building. He was safe now. He ran to the classroom and kicked himself in, giving himself some time to eat his lunch and the students some time to reflect on their attempt.

The students were disheartened. Their plan had seemed so foolproof. They were sure they would succeed. However, a single pencil had thwarted their plans. Whenever they did get around to finally assassinating their teacher, they would bring with them this feeling, and all the other feelings of frustration they had accumulated over the past semester. They would make him feel their wrath.