(4-1) The Final Straw

Rinka Hayami returned to her appartement to find the door broken and hanging off its hinges. She swore quietly to herself as she realised what had happened. Ritsu had messaged the day before saying that almost every class E member had been kidnapped that night. She had thought she would be the one in danger going out to get some extra food for Okajima who they were sheltering for the time being. It appears she was wrong.

"Ryu? Okajima?" She shouted as she entered the appartement. Nothing. Of course. Why would there be? The people who were kidnapping her friends must have come for them. They would be half way to god knows where by now.

She dumped the shopping in the kitchen area and slumped on a sofa to think over her next move. She was sad that Chiba had been taken, but she tried not to think about it, lest the anger inside her made her do something stupid, like try and find him on her own. No. She needed friends.

"Ritsu." She said into her phone as she clicked on the 'Ritsu' app. This app allowed every member of E class to call Ritsu and speak to her, or get her to send a message to any other classmate.

"Yes, how can I help?" The cheery AI girl replied.

"Who hasn't been kidnapped out of our class?"

"Well, those who have been kidnapped have gone dark on their phones, so, give me a minute, Nagisa and Kataoka have not been taken."

Hayami celebrated silently in her head. If Nagisa was still around, the odds of their success increased massively. He was the best assassin in their class, and, as she was told by Karma when she visited, his students kept him on his toes with their own assassination classroom.

"Ok, that's good." Hayami began. "Can you send a message to Megu, tell her to head to Nagisa's house. Send her the address as well so she knows where it is."

"Sure thing Rinka." Ritsu smiled. The AI went silent for a second before smiling once again. "Message sent!"

"Thanks Ritsu. Can you track the taken people in any way?"

"Unfortunately not. I'll keep trying different ways, but these people seem to know what they are doing. They may even know about me if they are targeting E class."

"Hmm, yeah keep trying. Well, I've got to go. We will probably need you when we meet up, me and the other two I mean. I think I may also have a good idea of who is behind this. It think it's..."

There came a loud stomping noise from out in the hall area. The appartement was laid out with a long hallway down the middle with the bedrooms on the left of the hall and the living room and kitchen on the right.

Hayami swiftly turned Ritsu off, and made her way to the door, trying to listen out to who it was. She heard multiple voices talking to each other, insulting each other on how loud they were being. It was hard to imagine people like this managed to get the drop on people like Karma and Chiba.

She shrugged. The men were coming towards the door she was hiding behind. She looked around for nearby cover, saw none, so decided to jump up. She thrust her arms and legs out sideways, pushing back against the wall on either side of the corner to stay in the air. Sure enough, the men blundered in, looked around, didn't see her so moved further into the room to search for her.

This was her cue. She dropped silently down to the floor and slipped through the door, avoiding the men searching her kitchen. Unfortunately, they had been smart enough to leave one member outside.

Hayami had slipped through the door and walked right into his back. He staggered forwards and let out an "oof" sound before turning around to see what had hit him.

Hayami clasped her hand onto his mouth and pushed him up against the wall opposite. The man's eyes widened I terror as he tried to call out for help. No one heard. Instead, Hayami picked up an umbrella which was in a basket next to the and smashed it down on the top of his head, nocking him unconscious.

She released her grip and let him fall noisily to the floor. She swore once more. How could that make so much noise?

She had to be fast. All she had time to do was grab a black hoody and race out of the door, down the hallway before the men found her. Fortunately, she still had her purse in her pocket from earlier so she could pay for food or travel. She had to make her way to Nagisa's house.

Megu Kataoka checked into a small, cheap, traditional inn on the outskirts of Tokyo. She didn't have time to make it all the way to Nagisa's house that day. She had come a long way, but the night was upon her and she felt weary. She would pick up the journey tomorrow after a sleep.

She made her way down the road a few blocks after dumping her stuff in her room to buy dinner and a drink. God did she need a drink. Just last night had she witnessed some men she didn't know kidnap both Isogai and Maehara. Isogai had let himself be taken to protect her. She could not stop thinking about that moment. That's why she needed a drink.

An hour later, she was sat in the corner of a ramen shop with some alcohol, finishing her meal. She sighed. I wish Isogai was here. No don't think like that. You'll get him back. It will all be ok.

She noticed a woman walk into the bar wearing a black hoody and jeans. The woman was alone, and seemed familiar. She ordered her food and looked around for someplace to sit. It was then Kataoka got to see her face. A look of recognition spread across both the women's faces. They said nothing, lest one of the kidnappers be in this restaurant. It was a cheap place, perfect for scumbags like them.

Hayami made her way over to Kataoka's table and sat down.

"So, you made it ok?" The redhead asked.

"Yeah," Kataoka replied, "what about you?"

"Yeah, fine. Almost got caught before I left my appartement. Fortunately I gave the fuckers the slip."

Kataoka gasped. She had never heard Hayami swear before. The sniper was usually so cool and level headed.

"Was losing Chiba that bad huh?" Kataoka asked.

"I don't want to admit it, but yeah. I wish he was here right now. It would make this thing a hell of a lot easier."

"I feel you girl. Isogai let himself get taken to let me escape. I owe being her now to him. And that's why I'm so determined to get him back."

"As am I Megu."

Nagisa paced his room. He had called Karasuma many times, but he hadn't picked up. He had even called Irina a few times, but she hadn't responded either. Either they were busy, or someone had taken them too. No. They couldn't have taken Karasuma, he's too strong. But then again, they did manage to take Karma anything was possible.

His phone rang. It was Karasuma. Finally.

"Nagisa, hello." Karasuma greeted him.

"Sir, I need help." Nagisa replied, panicked.

"You needn't bother with the sir any more. Call me Tadoami, or Karasuma, whatever works."

"Sure, Karasuma, everyone from E class has been taken."

"I know Nagisa. The reason I haven't been returning your calls is because I am trying to find out where they went."

"Any clues?"

"Not about where they are, but who took them."

"Go on."

"Nagisa, three weeks ago, Takaoka broke out of his mental asylum. I believe it is he who has taken your friends. He wants revenge."

"Well, revenge is something he is not going to get."

"In that case, you'll need a supply teacher for your class. Don't worry about that, I'll sort it."

"Thanks Karasuma, your the best."

"Bye Nagisa."

"Bye Karasuma."

Nagisa heard a quiet "Hello Nagisa" from Irina as Karasuma hung up. If it was Takaoka behind this, Nagisa knew he would stop at nothing to achieve his goal. His goal of revenge.