(4-4) Rest But No Relaxation

After the events on the rooftop, the three who remained there stood in silence for at least ten minutes after releasing Chiba from his bonds. The stood on the edge of the roof, gazing down, trying to see if they could spot Hayami's corpse down below them. It wasn't there. Or if it was, they couldn't see it. Either way, the mood stayed the same. A mood of sadness. Of mourning.

The events hurt Chiba the most, as expected. He left shortly afterwards, urging Nagisa and Kataoka not to follow or get in contact untill he contacted them. He needed time alone, to overcome this grief. Both Nagisa and Kataoka knew that they needed him to save their friends and overcome Takaoka, but they also knew he needed space. They solemnly let him leave the rooftop alone.

Shortly after that, they too returned home, to Nagisa's house, in silence.

Nagisa woke later than Kataoka and dragged himself out of bed. Once he stood up, he glanced over at the area of mattress beside his part. The area had not been touched for several days. It was cold to the touch.

The bluenette wrenched his eyes away from the bed and shuffled downstairs to make himself some coffee. Kataoka was in the lounge area, the news on the TV. Nagisa began to make his coffee, hearing but not listening to the TV. That was untill he heard a name that rang a bell. Ipanaika.

He paused his coffee making and swiftly walked from the kitchen into the lounge, paying more attention to the news.

"It was said that after a prison riot, the male who has been named as Kawasaki Ipanaika disappeared. He has recently been spotted in Tokyo buying bread at a corner shop. The police urges you to look out for this man as he has been known to be quite dangerous."

The news then went on to explain about Ipanaika's past as a leader of the infamous Yellow Sun gang.

"Do you know this man? You seemed to shoot in here pretty quick after this report started." Kataoka asked.

"Yeah. One of my students got mixed up in his gang. He was given a job by someone to assassinate me. I'm pretty sure now that it was Takaoka who gave him the job.

Somewhere else in Tokyo, Chiba heard the same news story as he was buying food in a shop.

Ipanaika. Where have I heard that name before? Wait. That was it. Hayami was telling me how Nagisa's school trip got gatecrashed by him and his gang. Was he? Was he hired by Takaoka. I mean probably. I'll have to see for myself.

Karma Akabane performed his daily ritual of staring at the bars of his cell, hoping he could see some weakness that he could exploit, or he would find some unknown superpower that meant he could crush steel with his mind. The latter was probably just him going mad.

"I don't understand Karma." Kayano began as she walked up and took a seat beside him. "You stare at those bars everyday for no reason. We know we can't break them."

Karma sighed and hung his head lower than it was already.

"I don't know Kayano. I feel lost. We always find ways out of these kind of situations as a class, yet we can't think of anything, I can't think of anything."

"Now that seems out of character for you Karma." Kanzaki said, taking a seat the other side of him. "You always seem to be in good spirits. But not now."

"Yeah, well I have never failed before now."

"You're angry at yourself for failing?" Kayano asked.

"Yeah. I couldn't beat those who captured me. I could be with Nagisa, Kataoka and Hayami now, finding you guys. Instead I'm here, with now idea how to get out." Karma sighed. If you looked closely, you may be able to spot a singular tear emerging from his eye.

"You haven't failed. Not yet."

"Kanzaki, I get you're trying to be nice, but may I remind you that Chiba was taken from here yesterday and has not returned. I'm not sure who our captor is, but they definitely haven't bought him a drink and gave him a holiday."

"I know. I'm worried about him. Nagisa will find us. Have faith in him."

"You're right Kanzaki. You're right. Wait. I do have an idea. Kanzaki, play dead."

"What? Why?"

"Just do it."

The black haired girl walked to the middle of the room and lay down, letting her head fall to one side.

"Is this good?" She whispered.

"Perfect. Right, everyone, do as I say."

Karma walked over to the bars and looked out. There were no guards in the room. How stupid of them.

"Terasaka, shout as loud as you can that Kanzaki just collapsed." He said.

"WHAT THE HELL, SHE JUST COLLAPSED. HEY! WE NEED HELP! SHE ISN'T BREATHING!"

That last point was enough to make a guard come rushing in. He shone his torch into the cell and sure enough, Kanzaki was lying there on the floor.

"Is she alive?" He asked.

"I'm not sure." Sugino replied.

The guard shrugged and pulled out a pistol which he mounted his torch on top. He also produced a key from his pocket. He unlocked the door.

"Ok. No funny business, pick her up and move her over here."

Terasaka and Itona both started to move the girl's body towards the door. They placed her down and the guard dragged her out of the cell, letting her fall on the floor outside. After locking the cell door, he started touching her, making sure she was still alive and breathing. That was when she made her move.

As he was sensing her breathing by placing his ear by her mouth, she lifter her head up and headbutted him. He pulled away, crying out. From there, she stood up and grabbed the man's head, bringing it down onto the floor. His head hit the floor and he was knocked unconscious. Once he was incapacitated, she found the key from his belt and began to unlock the cell door.

"I admire your ingenuity." A deep voice sounded from behind. "But you were too slow."

The figure of a large, well built man emerged from the doorway and slapped Kanzaki across the face with such a force he sent her flying. He walked up to the bars and peered through. Now, Karma and the others could see his face.

"Takaoka? Why you bastard!" Karma shouted.

"Haha, careful there Akabane. You wouldn't want to end up like that ginger haired chick that I dropped of a skyscraper yesterday would you now?"

The old classmates gasped.

"Hayami? She's dead. You killed her!" Isogai shouted.

"That's right. Now, I'm going to move you to a more secure place. Not a word from you else you will bey next victim. Come along now boys and girls."

Later that day, Nagisa and Kataoka were eating dinner when another news report came on which peaked their interest. It was about a raid on an old abandoned warehouse. Some guy had walked in there armed with a knife. Turns out, there was a gang in the warehouse and they must have gotten into a fight with the lone man since multiple of them were found to be dead. The report ended with CCTV of the man leaving the building. His face couldn't be seen from under his hood. Yet, Nagisa still recognised him.

"Wait," he began, "isn't that the same thing Chiba was wearing last night?"

"Now that I think about it, yeah it was. What the hell is he doing?" Kataoka replied.

"I don't know, but we need allies. We need to track him down."

"Three people isn't going to be enough. Haven't you been training a class of school kids to kill you? Maybe we could get them to join?"

"I'm not bringing my students into this!" Nagisa said, bringing his fist down hard on the table.

"But we need the man power. Don't bring them all if you don't want, just your best."

"Fine. But if they get hurt, it's your fault."

"If that's want it takes, I'll willingly take your anger to save my friends."

"Fine. Tomorrow, you go after Chiba, I'll get us some students."

"That sounds like a plan."