Chapter 5- "Ah-hah! I Got It!"

•edited•

The cold, gray room was silent. The walls were gray. The tables were gray. The computers were gray. Rory could not have imagined a more depressing room. Her mind quickly flitted to pity for whoever had to sit in here, day after day, with nothing to look at but computer screens filled with park goers, having the fun they could not partake in.

At this point and time, though, everyone and everything in the room stood still, apart from the video playing out on a single screen in the middle of an entire wall of security camera monitors. It was quite a sight as the Scooby gang added a bright array of color to the otherwise monotone room, which was not helped along by the black and white apparel of the KISS band.

The gang and KISS had previously congregated in the park's security surveillance room, along with Delilah, the supervisor, and the merchandise specialist. They all stood around in possibly the most random group one could ever have imagined. They were currently watching a recording of the witch as she flew through the park, terrorizing the crowds, all while screaming about a 'rock.'

"Give. Me. Rock!"

Rory visibly shuddered as she listened to the grotesque voice that emitted from the screen in front of her. The witch was a terrifying sight in herself, with her sharp, razor shaped teeth, dagger-like nails, and eyes that were full of madness. Her fingers started tapping her forearm where they came together from her crossed arms. It was a nervous habit she had developed several years ago.

The witch was flying above a crowd of park goers, who were frantically running each and every way in fear of the screeching witch.

The more Rory studied the witch, the more unnerved she became. She would not let anyone in the room know, especially a group of strangers, but she was filled with a deep sense of unease of the witch the longer she observed her. The witch struck a chord in Rory, almost in familiarity, but not in a good way.

She knew that if she were to mention it to any of her friends, they would bombard her with questions. The last thing Rory ever wanted to do was to burden them. They had already done so much for her since they took her in as a child. The least she could do, in her mind, was to fight her own mental battles. Especially ones that she could not quite explain why they existed in the first place.

On screen, the witch continued her rampage around the park as Rory focused on her words. All of a sudden it clicked. She has heard that voice before. It was the same, malicious voice that appeared every night in her nightmare. The same voice that would cause the woman in her dream to flee, and the same voice that never failed to shock Rory awake.

Rory's entire body seized up as her repetitive finger-tapping ceased, and her breathing quickened. She tried her absolute hardest to keep her shock to a minimum, worried that someone would have noticed her escalated fear that rose up inside of her. There was not any possible way that it was circumstantial that the voice that plagued her nightmares was now being broadcast through a computer screen while she was completely conscious.

The Demon looked down at the small girl, noticing she had gone rigid. Her hands that had previously been in front of her were now tightened into fists at her sides as her eyes stayed glued on the screen. He looked away from her for a split second back to the screen, wondering if he initially missed something, before looking back to the girl.

In his years of living, the Demon has picked up on a few things. He has seen the type of fear when a person had been shocked by circumstances that snuck on them unexpectedly, causing them to loose composure for a brief moment before ultimately dismissing their fright with laughter. He has also witnessed the type of fear where a person stayed on guard of their surroundings, constantly looking over their shoulders in paranoia for a possible impending attack that may or may not ever happen.