Untitled Part 3

The next day, Robert and Cora were on the train returning home. He was overly concerned about how tired Cora seemed and said he felt it would be best to be closer to home where Dr. Clarkson could keep an eye on her.

But Cora felt horribly sick to her stomach on that train ride home. The movement turned out to be bad for her. When the train stopped and they stood to get off, Cora grabbed Robert's arm. "Darling, we should go to the hospital," she said quietly.

He looked concerned but remained strong for her, finding a bench for her to sit down while he spoke to Branson.

Cora's contractions felt worse than with her daughters. she believed it was because of her age although Dr. Clarkson said things should be okay. He was a man though, if only there were women doctors. They would understand the pain of childbirth surely. She wanted to lie down but it would be woefully undignified to do so on this bench.

She gasped at another wave of pain. "Robert!"

He rushed over and helped her stand. "Branson, bring the car closer."

"Yes, Milord," he replied noting the urgency.

"Cora, how can I help?"

"Just get me to the hospital, Robert. Something isn't right."

Robert saw the motor pull up and Branson got out , opening the door. "Easy, Cora, let me help you to the car."

Robert helped her but her legs were unsteady. Branson rushed over to her other side to help.

Robert kept his arm around her as Branson drove.  Cora was crying and he kept kissing her forehead and whispering words of comfort in her ear. The next few hours were a complete blur for Cora as they arrived at the hospital.

"Lod Grantham," Clarkson said.

"How is she?"

"Very weak but the babies heart rate dropped severely 

"What does that mean?"

"The baby was delivered , but... he didn't make it."

"My God. And Cora?"

"She's fine but insisted ion holding the baby."

"Dr. Clarkson, you're needed at once!" a nurse said. 

Robert took a shaky breath, crying for for their lost child."

****************

"I'm sorry Lady Grantham, he didn't make it.

"No," she gasped out. "May I hold him anyway?"

"Of course he said, nodding to the nurse. The child was placed in Cora's arm. When she felt her son's skin against hers she began to cry. "Oh, my darling, I'm so sorry it took us so long to be together. Just know that Papa and I will cherish you until the end of our days.

Cora had to blink several times before she could believe what she was seeing. Her sons eyes opened and her took a shuddering breath. "Nurse!" she called 

The nurse came over and gasped in amazement. "I'll get the doctor."

Cora smiled at her son. He had crystal blue eyes that reminded her of Robert's. "You are too precious and I love you dearly."

She reluctantly allowed Clarkson to take him away to be examined. Then Robert appeared. "Robert, congratulations, you have a son."

"I.. but I thought..."

"No, he's all right. He  felt better after being held by his Mama."

"Yes, that usually does the trick," he replied, giving her a kiss.

They both smiled at the sound of a cry from their son's mouth.

Lord and Lady Grantham, may I present to you your son. He's heart rate is better and he's breathing well.  Congratulations. he said, handing the boy to Robert.

Cora watched as his smile lit up the room. He reluctantly tore his eyes away from the boy to look at her. "I'd like to name him Isidor Robert."

"Oh, Robert, that's lovely, but will Mama be ok with it?"

"Why not, it means 'gift of Isis', an Egyptian god. So that's what I'll  tell her. To you, me, and Martha it's after Your father."

More tears fell from Cora's eyes. "I'm just so emotional today. I am so sorry."

Clarkson walked over. "That's not surprising," he said. "You experienced a trauma and your son almost lost his life."

"Was it my fault? Did I not rest enough?"

"No, none of it was your fault. He'll be just fine. 

"And I should call Mama."

****************

Violet, Mary, Edith and Sybil arrived to welcome the new member of the family. Mary was rather upset. She asked to see Cora alone while Robert introduced Isidor.

Mary sat in a chair beside Cora, arms crossed. "Do you know what you've done, Mama? Matthew is going back to Manchester because of the baby!" 

Cora took a breath. I certainly didn't want him to go back, in fact Papa gave him Crawley house so he wouldn't have to and he'd  be very welcome Live at Downton."

"Only to watch the true heir be raised and become the Earl of Grantham instead of himself!"

"Mary, I'm sorry this happened. It's not exactly something we planned for." I don't know what it is you want me to say. It's been a very difficult day for me and I'm exhausted."

But Mary didn't seem to care how difficult the birth had been for her mother. Her future would be different than she could have imagined. She loved Matthew that was true enough, but she would not be the Countess of Grantham. That privilege would go to her little brother's wife.

'"And Matthew? I thought you cared for him but I suppose you just roll over to get pregnant and damn everyone else! 

"Mary!" Cora said in shock. She had spoken to her sharply before but this was brazen even for her.

Cora wanted cry, she wanted to scream. She nearly lost her son and her own life and her daughter hated her. She looked over at Robert who happily spoke  to Mama. She could use her mother right about now, She felt absolutely alone right now and didn't know what to do.

Cora called Dr. Clarkson over. "When may I go home?" she asked wanting to be alone in her room to cry.

"in a day or two. You need rest and quiet. We can set up a nurse and nanny for you if you'd like."

 "Oh, no thank you. I'd like to care of everything myself this time."

He nodded. "I understand"

Cora yawned and settled in for a nap, waking up to violet. "Robert said you're refusing a nurse and a nanny! Why would you?"

"Because I want to take care of Isidor myself, Mama. Robert and I have already discussed this and he agreed with it."