Untitled Part 7

Cora woke up with a pounding headache. She hadn't eaten anything since tea yesterday afternoon. O'Brien entered. "How are you feeling Milady. "Not well, honestly. could I just have some toast and juice this morning?" she asked, knowing how much her mother loved a glass of orange juice.

Once her maid left there was a knock on the door. "Come in."

"Hello, My darling," Robert said, sitting beside her and placing a kiss on her cheek. "I have some news. Harold has bought yo passage to go to America for the funeral if you'd like to go. I got myself one as well."

"You'll come with me?"

"Of course I will. I can't let you make this journey on your own. You were there for me when Mama.... now its my turn to be there for you. "I love you."

"Oh Robert, I love you too! When do we leave?"

"Thursday morning."

There was a knock and Isidor entered. "OH, I'm terribly sorry to disturb you both," Isidor said, but I wanted to share something important with you."

"Of course, Izzy," Cora said, Please go on."

"You both know how much I adore Serena."

"Yes," Robert replied, sharing a knowing glance with Cora.

"I have asked her father for her hand in marriage."

"Oh my darling, that's wonderful," Cora said. "She's a sweet girl."

"She will do very well as your wife, I am certain," Robert replied, shaking Isidor's hand.