Part title

Cora sat alone in the waiting room trembling with shock and fear. The police were to contact Rosamund but she had yet to arrive. She just sat starting straight ahead thinking of the worst possible outcomes. The thought of losing Robert so soon after her mother would kill her. She had fully expected to go before him not three years ago when they went to the south of France. Now he could be leaving first. She looked up when she heard. Familiar voice. It was Isidor. He looked just like his father when she first met him, and she began to sob again. He rushed over to her. " Oh, mama!" He said, hugging her close. 

"Izzy I can't lose him!"

Just then a nurse came over. "Lady Grantham, the doctor would like to speak to you."
Isidor helped Cora to her feet, putting his arm around her waist. Cora felt just as safe with him as she felt with Robert. She looked up at him and smiled to reassure him she would be fine. Isidor returned the smile. He learned how to love by watching his parents. They had a beautiful relationship despite what granny said. Mary always felt they were embarrassing with their affection, but he disagreed wanting the same thing. He believed he would have that with Serena. She was very much the English version of Mama not that granny liked that, but he didn't care. He knew what love was and it wouldn't change his feelings for Serena or Rena as he called her.

Cora felt calmer after listening to the doctor. they were able to stitch up the wound and he would be fine but would need a lot of rest. When he was stabbed, it caused a tear in his lung which filled up from fluid causing dropsy. They would need to drain the fluid soon so he can breathe easier.

"May we see him?"

"Certainly," he said leading them to the room. "He may have some difficulty speaking right now, but he'll understand you."

Robert hated feeling short of breath but at least he could still breath after that attack. Dying in front of Cora was the last thing he wanted to do especially so soon after Martha's death. He heard the door open, and she entered with Isidor. She came over and kissed his lips. He returned it although he felt breathless after. 

"Robert, I don't appreciate being frightened like that, darling."

"I'm sorry," he said. " I wish I could have spared you that and... and the pain, he winced."

"Oh, my dear," Cora said, cupping his cheek and kissing him. I love you so much."

"I love you too." Robert smiled at his son. "Thanks for coming to be here for Mama."

"Always. You need to rest up because I need you at my wedding."

"I shall!"

****************************

Cora entered Rosamund's. and found her sister-in-law in the drawing room.  "Cora you're home!  Serena's mother is on her way. She would like to see you. Why don't you get some rest before dinner? You look exhausted."

She nodded and headed up to her room. It had been a long day. The doctor had to drain the fluid four times from Robert's lungs. the last time they couldn't get his heart to start up.