Untitled part

September 1930

Life moved on after the death of the Dowager Countess of Grantham, Lady Violet Crawley.
Sybbie and Marigold came into the library

"Donk!" Sybbie exclaimed.

Robert sighed. "Sybbie, it was cute when you were little."

"But nothing else feels right," Marigold said with a giggle."

"Sorry, Donk, it's true, Sybbie said.

"Oh, very well. You both are lucky you're cute!"

Cora smiled, looking up at Robert. Her illness was finally getting better so she had been able to do more things without becoming exhausted. And Mary was definitely on her way to becoming more like Mama including with a detest for Americans.

Carson entered with a letter for Cora. She glanced at it, then Robert, rushing out of the room. He immediately followed her hoping it wasn't what he thought it was. Harold had written a month ago that Martha was unwell. Cora was still having ill effects from the anemia so she hadn't been able to travel.  He entered the bedroom to find Cora sobbing on the bed.  "Oh my darling," he said, sitting beside her.

Cora sat up, launching herself into his arms. "She's gone, Robert and I didn't visit her. I should have! I was too lazy."

"No, darling, you were ill yourself and your Mama knew that."

"I didn't get to say goodbye and thank her for bringing me here to marry one of the finest men I have ever known."
Robert held her as she cried He looked at her to see she had fallen asleep. He moved her so her head was on the pillow, covered her and kissed her cheek. Then went to his dressing room at the sound of the dressing gong. "Is everything all right , Milord?"
Bates asked. "Her Ladyship's Mother died. She's devastated."
"I am sorry to hear that."
There was a knock at the door, Bates opened it to see Baxter. "Her Ladyship's not answering. Is everything ok?"
Bates explained, adding. "I don't believe she'll be down for dinner, right Milord."

"No, She fell asleep, Baxter, thank you."

"Yes, milord."
Robert thanked them both and went down to the drawing room.

And here we all thought she'd outlive us all," Mary said as Robert entered.

"Mary, that is so unkind," Edith told her sister, dabbing at her tears..

"Yes, Mary," Robert said. Please don't speak that way around your Mama. She's absolutely devastated.

Isidor frowned. "I don't understand why you feel the need to be so harsh to Mama," He said to Mary."

"You are so much like her I don't expect you to understand."

"That's enough!" Robert said. "We are a house in mourning and I do not want any arguing in front of Mama! Understood?'

"Yes, Sir," Isidor said.

Isobel and Dickie joined them for dinner. Isobel noted the sour look her daughter in law had on her face. It was times like this she wished Matthew was still around. He had been able to smother some of Mary's nastiness with his love. She couldn't believe the young woman would make such a comment about her grandmother. Was she really intolerant of her mother's American side? Isobel had always been fond of cousin Cora, she didn't let the elegance or prejudice of the British Aristocracy get the better of her. She raised her son to be that way as well. If Matthew wasn't the next Earl then Isidor would be perfect for the job. She hoped Mary saw that especially after all the fuss she made after the boy's birth.

After dinner Robert made his excuses wanting to check on Cora. Dickie was talking to Isidor when he suddenly shouted out "that's wonderful Izzy! " he said "congratulations!"

Everyone looked over. "What is all the excitement about?" Isobel asked.

"It seems that Isidor has asked Lady Serena's father for her hand in marriage and will be proposing soon!"

"That is fantastic, congratulations," she said giving him a hug.