Untitled Part 15

Cora insisted on doing the Eulogy herself. Mary, Bates, and even Tom wanted to but she needed to express her feelings aloud no matter how hard it would be. She regretted not doing it for Sybil, leaving it to Robert but she knew she owed it to the man who loved her so fiercely.

She made her way to the pulpit, keeping her tears in check and took a breath, avoiding the eyes of the people who might cause her to cry. Like sweet Sybbie.

"When I fist arrived in London, I was just 20 years old and my mother insisted I find a husband here no matter what I wanted. I was not interested in an English husband because what I wanted was to be in love as most American girls my age wanted. Doing the season in such a foreign place was nerve wracking. I wasn't sure what I was doing at first but when a young man came up to me and asked to dance, he immediately put me at ease. I later learned that night that he was the only son of the Earl of Grantham. He was very handsome and charming and I fell in love with him from that moment. for the next few days I went to balls, luncheons and dinners but I didn't seem him again until I received an invitation to dinner at Downton Abbey. Talk about intimidating! that's right, The Dowager Countess of Grantham! I thought she hated me but I later learned she was testing me to see if I was the one to follow in her footsteps. She never thought I'd last as long as I did, but with her son's love and support, I did. Lord Grantham was the best father, husband, and companion I could ever have asked for. He... He will be sorely missed and I know he would want to thank each and everyone of you for the hard work you all put in to making Downton a beautiful and Wonderful village. I thank you as well. God bless you all."

Cora returned to her seat and sat beside Isidor. He put an arm around her and Cora felt Robert's strength enter her and sat up straighter, wiping her tears. She could do this.

THE END (for now)