Home

Cora entered her teenage home. The first person she saw was her Aunt Mary, who always treated her like the daughter she never had. She gave Cora a hug and the two cried thinking of Martha. "Come along, dear. Martha wrote you a letter and had some items she would like you to go through , maybe take with you and give to your daughters."

She was alone in her mother's room, tears flowing as memories washed over her. She glanced over at the letter that was left for her. Setting down the album, she reached for it and took it out.

My darling Cora,

It's with sadness that I write these words to you. I long to see my beautiful daughter once more. I understand why you cannot be here. I would have been worried about seeing you so ill.  I am very proud of how you took up the challenge I put you too. I knew you would prove worthy as the Countess of Grantham regardless of what Violet believed. Robert told me what she said before she past. I know she and I didn't really get along but I think she loved you in the end and that was all I asked of her, to take care and love you as her own. Tell Mary and Edith I love them dearly, Robert too. I will be with you always, my darling daughter.

with love,

your mother

Cora placed the letter to her chest and closed her eyes. "I love you too, Mother," she whispered. Her eyes opened at the urgent knock on the door. "Come in," she said ready to throw Harold out, but it wasn't Harold. Cora stood up. "Oh Robert! You're here my darling. I thought the worst!"

Robert took two steps and wrapped his arms around his wife. "I thought the same of you. I'm so sorry,"