Part 5

Robert hated yelling at his children but this had gone on long enough. He tried not to scream at Mary for her words to Cora, It did happen 6 years ago, not that it made him any less angry. He didn't have anything else to say to Mary but left her with this: "We almost lost both Mama and Izzy that day."

"She never said."

"She was trying to keep her daughters from getting upset, something you did not care to consider."  With that, Robert left the room.

Mary looked at Matthew and began to cry as he hugged her. "Oh, I've been so stupid, Matthew!"

****************

Cora stood when Robert came into the hall. "Sorry, for the delay, Carson," he said.

"It's quite all right, Milord," He answered nodding towards Cora, who was being hugged by Edith.

Robert walked to her. "Darling, I think the children are ready for their walk. "Are you ok to come?"

"She smiled. "Of course I am, Robert." He took her hand and they went outside to enjoy their walk. Sybbie took Robert's hand and Izzy took Cora's.  they ran through the grass laughing happily. Cora sat down. "Mama!" Izzy exclaimed rushing towards her.  Robert caught him. "Be careful my little tornado."

"Donk, why is Izzy my uncle?"

"Because he's your Mama's brother."

"My Mama... What was she like? I ask Papa but he gets sad. I don't want him sad."

Cora nodded. "Come here she said, holding out her hand.  Sybbie sat beside her.

"Your Mama." Cora began, "Was beautiful and kind. She loved everyone she ever met and always wanted to lend a hand where she could. She worked hard to become a nurse and helped the soldiers who came back after the war. She  would do what she wanted, sometimes disobeying Donk."

Robert sighed at her calling him that.

"Did Mama get in trouble a lot?" She asked.

"No," Robert answered. "No far from it," Robert said. "If I got upset with her it's because I loved her very much and did not want any harm to come to her."

"Do you think Papa would do the same for me?"

He smiled. "Absolutely."