Untitled Part 14

Mary sat heavily on the chair. She and Isidor had supervised Grasby's as they arrived to take their father away.  Mary knew she had been hard on her younger brother because she'd been jealous, but seeing the man he had become in just over a day made her proud. He was strong for Mama and their sisters, taking on all responsibilities with Murray. The thing that hurt her the most was that her son, George wouldn't know what a great person his grandpapa was.

Mama had yet to emerge from their room. Isidor found her their after saying goodbye to Papa and she refused to leave.

"Milady?" Can I get you anything?"

She turned to face Andrew and smiled. "No, thank you, go on home to be with your little girl. Did you ever pick a name? I don't think Daisy likes to call her Baby Parker."

He chuckled. "We chose Cora Elizabeth."

Mary nodded. "Tell her Ladyship as soon as you can, She'll be honored, I'm certain."

"I will. Goodnight, Milady. I'll be here by 7 am sharp."

"Thank you, Andrew, for everything."

**********************

Cora could barely stand. She felt awful physically and emotionally. She had no idea how she would get through today without Robert, without her mother. Her heart ached to feel Robert's arms around her. to hear him whisper her name, to taste his lips. There was a knock on the door and Baxter entered. 

"I didn't know you were back from your honeymoon," she said.

"Of course we are. We came back the moment we heard about his Lordship. I just wouldn't have felt right enjoying Rome while you were in mourning. Cora pulled Baxter into a hug and cried. "Thank you so much! I have always appreciated you, Baxter. I don't know if I can do this."

"Yes you can, Milady. You're strong!"

"I don't know I think my strength went with Lord Grantham."

Baxter nodded sympathetically. She hadn't been married to Joseph long but she understood and couldn't imagine life without him. "are you ready to get dressed?" she asked. 

Cora nodded. Once she was ready, Cora glanced in the mirror. she looked pale. She took a breath, nodded to Baxter and left the safety of her room. Out to where reality would really set in. Not seeing Robert looking dashing in his finest suit.  No sign of her mother acting completely American, no Mama rolling her eyes at her. She looked up before going downstairs. "Oh, Robert, give me strength to go on without you, my darling."