RMS Regina

Cora woke with a start at the knock on the door. Robert was speaking to someone. "Yes, of course.

"Robert?"

"Darling, I don't want t frighten you, but the ship's on fire. You should get dressed so you can get on a lifeboat."

"Not without you!"

"You must. I will need to wait until the women and children are loaded then I'll join you."

"Robert Crawley, I refuse to leave you! I'll wait as well."

Cora got dressed and grabbed her warm coat and a small bag with important items. including a stuffed dog George gave her to keep her safe. Robert helped her with her life vest, took her hand and they went up on deck. It was absolute chaos. And so many people she wondered how there would still be room for her husband on one of the boats. After the Titanic, ships became more well equipped so maybe he would be ok. Suddenly she lost the grip on his hand and then could see him no longer. She was being shoved back and forth among other passengers as fear overtook them. Someone grabbed her arm, forcing her into a boat. She sat down, heart racing as the boat was lowered to the water. Finally, tears began to fall and she turned to the person who helped her and she recognized the Duke of Kent. "Y- Your Grace, I thank You. I became separated from Lord Grantham."

He nodded. "I saw him and said I would look for you. I believe he found a place on another lifeboat."

"Oh thank God," she said in relief.

Cora was warm in her coat but the rocking of the boat made her sleepy. The duke put his arm around her and she drifted off to sleep. She was awaken sometime later by a ship's horn. She looked around in confusion. The SS Americana has come to our rescue, the Duke told her. "Oh and look behind you, Milady."

Cora turned, smiling. Ellis Island, her homeland. They had been closer than she realized. but Robert? Would she find him? Did he make it?