Part 4

Cor remembered going home with Isidor and dealing with Mary's indignation towards her for months until Robert found out how she was being treated. She ended up marrying Matthew after all so that was nice, but decided to remain estranged from Cora even on big events like Sybil and Tom returning  and Edith's wedding to Bertie. The loss of Sybil reminded Robert how scared he had been for Cora, which is why he wanted Sir Phillip in the room instead of Clarkson. Cora was upset for days that he ignored their family physician until that day at Mama's when the explanation of her daughter's chances was explained. Cora knew that the world of medicine was a difficult science and hoped one day there would be ways of keeping mother and child alive and well more often than not.

A twinge of pain hit her when she turned to see Robert enter. She smiled. "How was dinner?"

"Good except I missed you sitting across from me. Feeling better?"

"How upset was Mama at you for playing with Izzy?"

"I think she softened up a bit when you jumped in front of her."

"Was Mary pleased I wasn't eating with you tonight?"

"I am sorry you have to deal with that, darling. Matthew is too. He thinks of you as a second mother and holds no ill will towards you. will you ever tell me of the conversation you had with many all those years ago?"

She shook her head. "If you want to know, please ask her. I don't like to think about it let alone speak it."

**************

"Mary, Please don't treat Cora as a pariah," Matthew said. "None of this was her fault. It wasn't meant to be, for either of us but we're together and you're pregnant. Our child will need Granny."

Mary sighed, not convinced. As she grew older she wondered if she hadn't been too harsh on her Mama. It wasn't her fault she was American.

"Milord, telephone call for her ladyship."

" I'll take it."
**************
The next morning Cora decided she would join her family for breakfast. She told Baxter then headed down.
Everyone greeted her happily except Mary. Cora sat down after getting her food. Nanny entered with Izzy and Sybbie

"What happened Granny?"

"That's what happens when you get hurt with a cricket ball." Mary told Sybbie, glaring at Isidor. The little boy began to cry and ran over to Cora. She hugged him. "I told you I'm all right there's nothing to worry about, my dear." She looked at her eldest daughter. "Mary, I know you don't care for me but I ask that you please be nice to Isidor, he's only a child."

Mary shrugged.  "Perhaps Matthew and I should go and not return? If you're going to make me be kind to the boy who destroyed my chances at happiness. 

"Mary!" Matthew said.

Robert looked quite angry and Cora was ready to cry. "Nanny," Robert said. "Would you take the children outside for now? We'll be out soon for a walk."

Once they were gone, he looked at Mary. "You will tell me what you said to Mama, Mary!"

"Robert..."

"No, Cora, I'm done with this willfulness! She shakily stood up, not wanting to hear the words again. Edith and Bertie followed her into the great hall.

She sat down heavily on a chair.  "Mama, would you like some water?" Edith asked.

Edith left and Bertie knelt in front of her, placing his hand on hers. Cora gave him a pat. I'm sure we gave the servants something to chew on for a few days." She said with a wry smile. "How disgraceful." Bertie reached up to wipe the tears from her face.  "Perhaps Robert can talk some sense into Mary."

"I hope so but he's tried for years. I refused to tell him what she said because I didn't want him angry or relive it myself. "I almost died giving birth to Izzy and he was stillborn. Dr. Clarkson said he only survived because I held him  He opened his eyes and began to breath while I held him. Eyes, just like Robert's.

"He's growing into a fine boy! What a blessing."

"Indeed, but his birth torn apart my family. I just wished that Mary would understand that we didn't plan it. Robert and I were so shocked to even learn I was pregnant."

Bertie stood as Edith returned with a glass of water.  Cora pulled Bertie toward her, placing a kiss on his cheek. "Thank you, darling."