Neck Deep

Author's Note: I posted a picture of the gorgeous, Cara Delevingne whom is playing Jess Taylor.

|Chapter 23|

There had only been one other time in my life where I had been truly terrified, as I was at this very moment.

I was 14 years old...my parents, Jess and I had all taken a road trip to Nashville, Tennessee. At the time, Jess and I had both acquired a strange obsession with the country singer, Carrie Underwood. Jess mostly liked her because she was gorgeous but we both genuinely loved her music. Although, to be honest neither of us were big fans of country music, she was the one exception.

So my parents being the amazing people that they are, got us concert tickets in Nashville to go see her. It was about a 5 day vacation; we visited the Grand Ole Opry, the Cheekwood Botanical Garden, the Nashville Zoo; we shopped, we went out to eat and we walked down the famous Main Street.

Finally, on the 5th day was the concert. It was absolutely spectacular; Jess and I screamed so much that our voices were completely gone by the end of the night. It was the perfect trip.

My parents decided to drive halfway back, that same night and then stop and sleep at a hotel somewhere in Kentucky.

Jess and I were sitting in the backseat of our Lexus Hybrid, listening to Carrie Underwood's album on repeat. We knew my parents were getting tired of listening to her but Jess and I were on a concert buzz and we couldn't get enough of Carrie.

We'd been driving for 3 hours and our concert buzz was finally starting to wear off as we grew tired, but we continued mumbling the lyrics with our heads leaned up against the windows, barely keeping our eyelids open.

We sang, "And he don't know that I dug my keys into the side of that pretty, little souped up 4-wheel drive! Carved my name into his leather seats, I took a Louisville slugger to both headlights, slashed a hole in all 4 tires! Maybe next time, he'll think before he cheats."

Her lyrics were golden and Jess promised me that if a man ever cheated on me, that we'd do exactly what Carrie did. She was our role model and quite possibly a major influence in the amount of trashed vehicles that year.

My dad suddenly turned down the volume of the music and muttered to mom, "Um, I think we're lost."

Mom shouted back, "You think? I told you that 30 minutes ago! We never should've gotten off the highway. Now we're in the middle of no man's land!"

The cars headlights didn't reveal much about our surroundings but mom was right, we were definitely in no man's land. All we had seen for the past 30 minutes was rolling hills for miles and miles. Every 5 minutes or so, we'd see a house or a barn but that was it. It was barren. I had thought I had lived in the country until I saw this place.

My parents began a yelling war with each other, completely oblivious that Jess and I were attempting to go to sleep. After a few minutes, Jess had finally had enough, "For the love of God, would you two shut up?!"

As soon as Jess finished her sentence, there was suddenly an ear screeching sound that no one should ever have to hear. My neck cracked, as our car was quickly being jolted forward as the car brakes had been obviously slammed.

In front of the windshield was something you would never see back home in Pennsylvania. There was a fucking giant cow on the road! At the rate of acceleration of the car, there was no way we'd be able to stop in time. Hitting that cow would cause immense damage to the car and probably us.

My mom screamed, "Oh my god!" Then Jess' scream followed just as deathly loud. I was seemingly paralyzed by fear, with no doubt a 'deer stuck in the headlights' expression on my face. I was going to die, by the hooves of a cow!