Family Dinner

Author's Note:

So this chapter may be a bit boring, but sometimes you need the boring chapter in a story to really develop the characters and the story line. I can't just write about romance, sex, romance, sex and partying all the time, but trust me, that's coming. So here's a bit about Phoenix's lovely family. Hate it or love it, I don't care. I write stories based on my thoughts and opinions.

|Chapter 4|

The next day, I had an early morning class and surprisingly no tennis practice nor work. So I headed to my parents house for our monthly dinner.

I opened the door and yelled, "Hey mom, hey dad!"

Ally, Jess and Kylie filed in behind me with their own greetings to my parents. My parents always invited my friends to dinner and they couldn't decline the invitation for free home cooked food.

As soon as you walk in the door, you're in the kitchen, where my mom was currently stirring something on the stove. She paused to hug me, "Hey, honey! Glad you could make it."

I smiled, "Of course, it smells amazing."

I took a wooden spoon and scooped out some rice from the pan on the stove and shoved it in my mouth.

My mom playfully slapped my arm, "Wait until dinner!"

I rolled my eyes and set the spoon down.

I observed my mom for a minute as she rushed around the kitchen, frantically trying to get everything ready. She always stressed herself out more than was necessary.

My mom was a pretty woman; with light brown hair hanging a few inches past her shoulders, grayish blueish eyes, olive toned skin and a chubby figure with giant boobs.

We didn't look anything alike, I could've sworn I was adopted. I had light blonde hair hanging to my waist, dark green eyes, pale skin, a curvy figure and non-existent boobs. But she promised, I was hers, so I guess I had to believe her.

My dad finally appeared in the kitchen, smiling, "Hey, angel." He hugged me tightly; I loved my dad's hugs.

I chirped, "How are you?"

My dad was about 5'11" with a large round belly formed by drinking his disgusting beer. His hair was brown but starting to fade into a light gray. His best feature was his smile that I had luckily inherited; because he was a dentist, our family was pretty much required to have perfect teeth though.

My dad nodded, "Good, good. How's school?"

I grinned, "Well, we just started a new semester yesterday but my classes seem good so far."

I went into the boring details of my life for a few minutes before we all set down at the dining table. Set on the table was a feast for kings: well-done pork chops, chunky mashed potatoes, corn from last summers garden, green beans with bacon bits, rice, buttery rolls and pumpkin pie for dessert.

We all filled up our plates and waited for my dad to say prayer. My family were complicated Christians, they prayed before every meal and attended church occasionally but they definitely didn't follow the rules and hell, neither did I.

My dad prayed and then we all dug into the food.

My dad held a beer in his hand and banged it against the wooden table until the cap fell off. My mom gave him her usual face of disgust, he had done this for the past 30 years of their marriage and my mom couldn't stand it. My dad took a large swig and gave a toothy grin to my mom.

I was about to ask where Gramps was when he slowly walked in, cane in hand. Gramps grumbled, "Damnit, Carol weren't you going to tell me that dinner was ready? I swear, they're trying to fucking starve me here."