White Guys

|Chapter 5|
It was Thursday which meant it was time for my American History class again. Almost all of my classes were every other day classes. I had Public Relations Writing: Monday and Wednesday, World Politics on Monday, American History on Tuesday and Thursday, and lastly, Topics in Non-Fiction: Newspaper on Tuesday and Thursday.

Class was decent but Mr. Sheffield had unfortunately assigned our first homework assignment: a 1,000 word essay on the most monumental moment in American history to us.

After class, I was surprised to see Carter was waiting for me again. Shit, maybe he was interested.

I smiled, "Hello."

Carter smiled back, "Hey. You look pretty today."

I fought an intense battle with my body to hold back a blush but it appeared on my cheeks without permission anyways.

I tried hiding my blush by looking at the wall as I said, "Thanks."

I did, maybe, possibly try to look cute today for no particular reason, of course...

We walked slowly toward the elevator. I couldn't control my thoughts, my brain was in distraught. What did Carter want from me? What was he up to? Why couldn't I read his fucking mind?

I turned toward him to see him looking at me but his face gave nothing away.

Carter exclaimed happily, "So I'm having another party on Saturday, I wanted to see if you could come."

I thought through my schedule for a moment before replying, "Um, I don't know. I have a few tennis matches on Saturday, they're in the afternoon but I don't know how tired I'll be."

It was the truth but I felt weird saying it, knowing any normal girl would be jumping over obstacles to go to a party Carter Sanders was throwing and that HE personally invited them to.

Maybe to an extent, I was scared, not knowing what his intentions were with me made me feel on edge. And I still didn't understand why he was even breathing near me, let alone talking. It didn't make any sense.

I guess you could say I was pretty insecure, but being told even by your best friend that he was way too hot for made you feel that way. I loved Jess to death but she could be a real bitch sometimes.

Carter seemed unphased by my almost rejection, "You're on the tennis team here? That's awesome."

I nodded, "Yeah, been playing my whole life."

Carter and I stepped on an open elevator together.

Carter adjusted his backpack strap around his shoulder, "Well, I understand if you can't come but I'd really like you to", he added with an adorable smile.

Why why why why why?

My heart was practically beating out of my chest.

I tried to keep my voice steady as I said one single word, "Alright." It was all my brain could manage. I wanted to scream out a million questions but knew I would sound insane if I did.

Fuck, I was being so shy right now.

But Carter continued to shock me, pulling out his cell phone, "Do you mind if I get your number?"

I almost wanted to look around the elevator to make sure he was talking to me but we were the only two in the elevator so it had to be me. Wow.

I grinned, "Yeah, sure."

I spit out my digits as he typed them in on his phone. The elevator doors opened, revealing the court yard. I took a deep breath, trying to get some oxygen into my lungs that suddenly felt oxygen deprived.