Chapter 2: To Nott Help A Hufflepuff

"Okay, what kind of girls do you like?" Draco Malfoy was looking at Theodore Nott with parchment and ink in front of him. He was holding a feather expectantly, waiting to write down a list.

"Go bother someone else, Malfoy," Theodore responded, rolling his eyes and trying to get back to his homework. "Like Potter or Granger maybe?"

"Boys then?" Draco asked curiously, completely ignoring Theodore's comment.

Theodore closed his Charms textbook with a thud. "Goddammit Malfoy! Has anyone ever told you how fucking annoying you are?"

"I take it that's a no then," Draco replied while writing something down.

"You're really not going to let this go, are you?"

"Nope," Draco answered. "And if you're not telling me your preferences I'm just gonna have to guess." He scratched his chin with his feather and then continued. "I can't remember you having a date for the Yule Ball in fourth year."

"That's because I didn't go to the ball," Theodore said while packing up his stuff in his bag. Potions class was starting in a few minutes and he didn't want to be late.

"Why not?" Draco asked surprised.

Theodore snorted. "Because it's stupid?"

This whole conversation was really starting to get on his nerves. Why couldn't Malfoy just leave him alone? He and Zabini had suddenly made it their life mission to get him a date, even though he had told them on several occasions that he didn't want to date anyone. Dating was just a waste of time. He'd rather spend his time sneaking into the restricted section of the library reading about dark and obscure magic.

"Zabini was right when he said you were a weirdo," Draco said while also packing up his stuff. At least the list wasn't going to be written now, Theodore thought relieved.

"I know," he said to the blond boy and he started to sing. "I'm a creep. I'm a weirdo. What the hell am I doing here? I don't belong here."

Draco Malfoy looked at him in confusion and utter shock.

"It's a Muggle song," Theodore explained.

"Why are you listening to Muggle music?" Draco asked scrunching up his nose in disapproval.

"You gotta know your enemy if you want to destroy them," Theodore replied while slinging his bag over his shoulders. "Plus, they've got some decent tunes."

The boys marched out of the Slytherin common room and walked through the dungeons towards the Potions classroom. They were the only two Slytherins in their year taking N.E.W.T.-level Potions so Theodore was stuck with Draco for another hour.

They were late to arrive to the class, even though the Slytherin common room was just around the corner. Theodore eyed the other students while sitting down next to Draco in the front row. There weren't many students there, only Granger, two Hufflepuffs and a bunch of Ravenclaws.

Professor Slughorn welcomed them and motioned for them to come to the front of the classroom where he had set out four different potions. Theodore went to stand next to Draco. The Ravenclaws stood on his other side, chittering among themselves excitedly.

The professor was just introducing himself when the door burst open and Potter and Weasley came in. Draco poked Theodore in the side.

"Look what they're throwing in here," the boy sneered.

"There's no way these two got an Outstanding in Potions," Theodore said surprised while Slughorn instructed the two Gryffindor boys to get textbooks from the cupboard.