Chapter 25: But I Won't Do That

"It was wonderful meeting you, Theodore," Susan's father said and he shook Theodore Nott's hand.

Christmas break was over and they were standing on Platform 9 3/4 saying their goodbyes. Things had been weird since New Year's Eve. He didn't really know how to act around Susan anymore. The fact that looking at her reminded him of where his hands had been that night also didn't help. He wished he could take it all back and return to how things were before that night.

Susan's mother stepped towards him. "I'm sorry for how I acted when you first arrived, Theodore," she said. "I was wrong about you. Thank you for being such a wonderful boyfriend to my daughter." She took him into her arms and gave him a quick hug. Theodore blushed and stood there awkwardly, not only because of the hug but also because of her last words. He didn't feel like he was being such a wonderful boyfriend to Susan. A wonderful boyfriend would surely have handled New Year's Eve better than him.

When Susan had also said her goodbyes to her parents and after she had promised to write them more often, they slowly made their way towards the train.

"Susan! Theodore! Wait!" he heard someone yell behind them.

They both turned around simultaneously and he saw Hannah Abbott running towards them with a big smile on her face.

"I missed you," she sighed while giving Susan a hug. Then she looked up at Theodore and said: "Hi Theodore!"

He nodded at her.

"I missed you too, but you've hardly written to me. How have you been?" Susan asked her friend.

"Good," she smiled. "I'm sorry I didn't write more often, but Christmas break actually wasn't so bad this year."

"I'm glad to hear that," Susan smiled. Theodore's stomach flipped, even though that smile wasn't directed at him. He took Susan's hand.

"Maybe we should board the train."

Susan nodded and the three of them went to seek an empty compartment.

"Hey Nott!" someone called out while they were moving through the crowded train.

Theodore turned his head and saw that it was Draco. Only then did the blond boy seem to notice the two Hufflepuff girls beside Theodore. His eyes rested on Hannah for a few seconds before looking back at Theodore.

"See you later in the common room?" he asked.

"Sure," Theodore replied.

Draco nodded and moved past them, but when he passed Hannah he bumped her shoulder.

Hannah huffed. She turned to Susan. "The audacity of this kid!"

"I'm sure it was an accident," Susan tried to calm her friend, but Theodore knew that with Draco Malfoy something like this was never an accident. It seemed like Hannah Abbott had attracted his attention since their last train ride.

Hannah dropped the subject and they moved further through the train until they found a place to sit. When they were all settled down Hannah asked them: "So how was your break?"

Theodore shuffled uncomfortably in his seat next to Susan. Susan ignored him.

"Great," she smiled, but Theodore noticed that this time her smile wasn't completely genuine.

Susan and Hannah shared their Christmas break memories, Susan only talking about the trips they had made and the food they had eaten. Theodore didn't really add anything to the conversation and his mind started drifting off.

It was the first time since he had met Susan that he felt lonely sitting next to her. It wasn't a feeling he was used to. Normally he liked being alone. He liked not engaging in conversations. He even liked it when people ignored him. But not with Suzy. She was barely looking at him while talking to Hannah and her hands were in her lap instead of holding his. She felt so far away, so out of reach. He didn't know how to fix it.