Chapter 23: I Would Do Anything For Love

Theodore Nott held Susan Bones' hand as they walked into Flourish and Blotts. Today was a shopping day and together with Susan's parents they had gone to Diagon Alley. Her parents wanted a tea break and that had been the perfect opportunity for Susan to take Theodore to the bookstore. He didn't really know why she didn't want her parents to go with them. It wasn't like they were visiting Knockturn Alley.

Susan didn't pause when they entered the store and immediately pulled him along to the fiction section in the back. Theodore only had eyes for a book that tried to bite passers-by on one of the tables they passed on the way to the back.

The fiction section was in a separate room and consisted of three full walls with floor to ceiling shelves, all of them filled to the brim. 

Susan let go of his hand and hopped off to the romance section. He followed her, not knowing what he wanted to read at all. 

"Are you looking for anything in particular?" he asked her as she was scanning the shelves.

"Yes," she replied absentmindedly, her attention not wavering from the books in front of her.

"Found it!" she squealed. She turned around and showed him a book with a dark blue cover on which a half naked man was kissing a woman under a full moon.

"Is it about what I think it is about?" he asked. The guy on the cover was way too muscular. No one really looked that way, Theodore thought.

"What do you think it is about?"

"A werewolf kissing someone?"

Susan read the back and answered: "Yeah, that's pretty much the synopsis. It's by the same author as the merman one and that one was really good!"

That one also had a weird cover, Theodore thought. He didn't really get the appeal of the books, but they made Suzy happy and that was the most important thing.

"What do you want to read?"

Theodore eyed the shelves that were sorted by genre. "I don't know. I don't read a lot of fiction, to be honest."

He mostly read about dark magic, but he didn't really want to admit that to Susan. She might think that he was like his family after all and he was trying really hard to distance himself from their beliefs. Dark stuff was so intriguing though.

"But you want people to die?" she asked.

He looked back at her. "Not necessarily," he shrugged. "But yeah, something dark."

"Let's go look at the thrillers," she suggested.

After browsing for a while Theodore eventually picked a book told from the perspective of a witch who worked at the Ministry by day but by night took revenge on despicable Muggle men who had mistreated women.

"I don't get why you would want to read that," Suzy shook her head while smiling at him.

"It sounds interesting," he shrugged.

"You're so cute," she said and she gave him a peck on the cheek.

Theodore blushed. "How does reading this book make me cute?"

She shrugged. "Everything you do is cute."

They went to pay for the books and Susan hid her book in her bag. When they went back to her parents she told them she didn't buy anything, which Theodore thought was a bit weird.

___________________________________

With Theodore by her side, the days flew by and without noticing it, it was already New Year's Eve. They were almost going back to Hogwarts.