Chapter 29: Nott This Again

Susan Bones stared at the door after Theodore Nott had rushed out of the Transfiguration classroom. Her brain couldn't quite process what had just happened.

For the second time in her life she found herself being dumped very unexpectedly. A part of her wanted to run after Theodore, to plead for another chance, for an explanation for this sudden breakup. But she couldn't move. It was like her mind had decided that the best way to protect her from the hurt that was inevitably coming was to freeze on the spot.

She didn't know how many minutes passed by before she looked away from the door and at the almost untouched picnic that was left on the table. She should probably bring that back to the house elves in the kitchen but no matter how hard she tried to convince herself to clean up and pick up the basket, her arms refused to move. So instead, she left the room without it. The only thing she carried was her broken heart. That weight alone was heavy enough.

___________________________________

"Not this again," Draco Malfoy sighed.

Theodore Nott was once again lying on their dorm floor, his arms spread wide and his eyes not moving away from the ceiling. For the second time this school year Muggle music was blasting through the entire room.

If I should stay
Well I would only be in your way
And so I'll go, and yet I know
I'll think of you each step of the way

"What the hell is this noise?" Blaise Zabini asked as the chorus of the song dramatically screamed 'I will always love you'.  "And why can't we enter our room?"

"It's Nott again, being a pathetic little bitch," Draco answered.

"Well, he has to be pathetic elsewhere since I am already starting to get a headache from this. Muggles call this music? Damn, their taste is bad," Blaise said. "Finite incantatem." The music stopped.

"Crabbe, Goyle, pick him up from the floor, will you?" Theodore heard Draco say.

The sound of scuffling feet sounded next to him and suddenly two pairs of hands slid around his arms and pulled him up. Crabbe and Goyle half carried him towards his bed where he fell flat down on his face.

Someone sat down next to him because he felt the mattress move. "Has something happened with Susan?" It was Blaise who apparently had finally remembered his girlfriend's name. Except she wasn't his girlfriend anymore.

"Hufflepuff girls," Draco said from across the room. "They are the worst." He briefly wondered what the boy meant by that comment but then he remembered that he couldn't care less. Not after breaking up with Susan.

"Theodore? You can talk to us, you know," Blaise said.

"I broke up with her," Theodore mumbled. The room fell quiet.

"If you broke up with her this time, then why are you whining like this again?" Draco finally broke the silence.

"Because I still love her," Theodore said without moving or looking at his fellow Slytherins.

"You're not making any sense right now," Blaise replied.

"Just leave him here to wallow in his misery for a while," Draco suggested. "Come on, let's move to the common room."

The boys left Theodore alone. He pulled his wand out of his pocket to play more Muggle music. After that he didn't move for several hours.

___________________________________

Susan Bones sat curled up in a ball on her bed. In a daze she had found her way back to the Hufflepuff common room and had rushed up the stairs to her room.