Chapter 12: Can We Please Just Kiss?

Theodore Nott was standing in front of the gargoyle that led to the Headmaster's office. Not knowing the password and the gargoyle telling him that the Headmaster was preoccupied he had no other option than to wait.

He had been serious when he had threatened Daphne with going to Dumbledore. She should be severly punished for her actions.

Theodore had to wait long and he was just debating to maybe go back to the common room and come back tomorrow when the gargoyle stepped aside. Potter appeared, with the Headmaster following him.

"See you next week, Harry," professor Dumbledore said before turning around.

"Professor?" Theodore shouted. He had not just waited this long to let the old man leave.

Professor Dumbledore turned around and looked at Theodore over his half-moon spectacles.

"Mister Nott? I have been expecting you."

Theodore just stared at the Headmaster with his mouth hanging open.

"Please come in," the man said before ascending the stairs. Theodore followed.

In his six years at Hogwarts he had actually never been in the Headmaster's office. It was a large circular room and the walls were decorated with portraits of previous Headmasters who nodded at Theodore or took their hats off in greeting.

Dumbledore sat down behind his giant claw-footed desk and gestured for Theodore to sit down as well, who did as he was asked.

"How are you Theodore? I've noticed you've been spending a lot of time with Miss Bones lately," the Headmaster said.

Theodore blinked. How did the old dude know this? It was slightly disturbing.

"Susan is actually what I've come to talk to you about," he replied.

Dumbledore nodded. "Has she recovered well from her accident?"

"It was no accident, professor!" Theodore exclaimed. "Daphne Greengrass poisoned her!"

Professor Dumbledore pressed the tips of his fingers together. "That is a serious accusation to make, Theodore. Why would Miss Greengrass do such a horrifying thing?"

Theodore opened his mouth and then closed it again, realising that he had to explain the dating situation to his Headmaster for him to understand Daphne's motive.

"It's embarrassing, honestly."

Dumbledore just sat there staring at him, waiting for him to continue.

"Draco Malfoy asked Daphne Greengrass to go on a date with me to Hogsmeade, but this was without my consent. I didn't want to go on a date with her. So then I pretended to date Susan Bones to get out from under this date. Daphne was hurt by that, she thought I actually dumped her for Susan. So to get revenge she poisoned Susan."

Dumbledore stayed silent for a few seconds, then he said: "Why didn't you tell Miss Greengrass that you weren't the one who asked her on this date?"

Theodore shifted in his chair. "I don't like confrontation, sir."

"And you're not actually dating Miss Bones?" The old man sounded disappointed.

"I wasn't at first, but now I am." Theodore turned red. This whole conversation was embarrassing.

"Do you have any proof that Miss Greengrass was behind the poisoning of Miss Bones?" Dumbledore asked.

"Not directly, sir. But Draco Malfoy and Pansy Parkinson were there when she confessed." Theodore silently cursed himself for not having cast a spell to record Daphne's confession.