19. only in a world of speculation

CHAPTER NINETEEN:only in a world of speculation_______________________________IF YOU WERE TO ENLIGHTEN VALERIE ABOUT THE MISSION SHE'S ON AGAINST 'EVIL RUSSIANS' THREE WEEKS AGO, SHE WOULD'VE LAUGHED IN YOUR FACE

CHAPTER NINETEEN:
only in a world of speculation
_______________________________
IF YOU WERE TO ENLIGHTEN VALERIE ABOUT THE MISSION SHE'S ON AGAINST 'EVIL RUSSIANS' THREE WEEKS AGO, SHE WOULD'VE LAUGHED IN YOUR FACE.

Valerie had her mind set on a summer full of mimosa and romance films, but—nope! She was spending her precious time doing spy-craft, and practically living in the back room of Scoops Ahoy.. ew. No offense, but that did not sound like the fantasy Valerie spent months looking forward to. Summer would be gone as fast as it came around, and she was spending it in the back room of an ice cream shop. . Oh well! Even though it might sound boring, in all honesty.. Valerie found it more entertaining than your typical 'at the pool' type of summer.
_______________________________
It was that time of day where the mall began to empty, and the sound of muffled talking began to fade as the people left.

After what felt like hours of bickering, they had finally managed to negotiate with Erica. Free ice cream for life, in return for Erica crawling through the vent and opening the doors. That didn't necessarily sound like a pretty fair deal, but Erica was very stubborn, and today.. Valerie did not feel like arguing.

"Erica, do you copy?" Robin asked through the Walkie-talkie. "Mhm, I copy." Erica replied. "You nerds in position or what?" Erica asked. "Yeah, we're in position." Robin confirmed. "It's all quiet here, so you've got the green light." Robin said. "Green light, roger that." Erica replied. "Commence operation child endangerment." Erica declared . "Can we maybe not call it that?" Robin sighed. "See you on the other side, nerds."

The dreadful silence that filled the air began to grow more uncomfortable by the second. It felt as if time was slipping away the longer Erica took. That was until the static from the Walkie-talkie made the five of them whip their heads. "Alright, nerds. I'm there." Erica announced, making all five of their faces light up. "Do you—do you see anything?" Robin asked. "Yeah.. I see those boring boxes you're so excited about." Erica casually replied, Valerie and Selina's eyes meeting in excitement. The five were about to finally find out what was inside of those boxes for them to be so heavily guarded. "Any guards?" Robin asked. "Negative." Erica replied. "Booby traps?" Robin asked. "If I could see them, they'd be pretty shit traps, wouldn't they?" Erica sassed. Considering Selina was one to argue, Valerie had to flick the girl in the shoulder in order to stop her from opening her mouth. "Thank you for that." Robin replied sarcastically. They each waited for a reply from Erica, until she finally spoke up. "I'm in." Erica announced. "We're in such deep shit." Selina quietly giggled. "How is this funny?" Steve asked, his head raising from his palms. "Because.. we're in deep shit." Selina shrugged. "Exactly, which is why—" Steve began, before their bickering was interrupted by the doors slowly opening. Erica revealed herself, standing outside of the doors. "Free ice cream—for life."