2. Welcome to Alexandria

"Who are those people," Hannah asked. As soon as she had seen the new group enter her home, she ran down the block to find Aaron.

"I found them over by the abandoned shed. They're a little on edge but I promise they won't hurt us." He tells her.

"Did they really have a baby? I don't think I've seen one since Ellie." Ellie was Mrs. Thompson's baby. She had arrived about 3 years ago and everyone immediately fell in love with the little girl. Hannah had offered to babysit her on the days when Mrs. Thompson grew too tired. She would run around the center of town with the girl, teaching her all sorts of games she had grown up with. By the time she was 4, it was apparent that Ellie was sick. She couldn't run for more than 10 minutes without needing a break, and she would wheeze with each breath she took. It wasn't the worst thing the Alexandrians had seen, especially compared to the monsters outside, so no one thought to worry. That is until Ellie found herself on the other side of the gates. No one really knows how she got out there, but most likely she had slipped through a gap in the fence, at least that's what Hannah thought. She couldn't have been gone longer than an hour before a horde of roamers found her. Hannah was only 12 when she heard Mrs. Thompson's screams, shrill and terrified, as she carried the body of her only daughter. They held a service that afternoon, clad with pink balloons someone had found at an old grocery store. Pink was Ellie's favorite color.

"Yeah, actually," Aaron responded, "She's a sweet little thing. They also came in with a boy about your age, Rick's son."

"Hmm," Hannah hummed. She could tell the boy was her age, maybe a little younger, "Which one was Rick?" She asked.

"Tall, scruffy beard, kinda scary." The Mountain Man. "Actually, I was wondering if, maybe tomorrow, you would think about giving them a tour. They might not even want it, but I figured seeing someone other than me or Eric could be nice for them. Just to help them feel a little more at home." Hannah knew Aaron's request was harmless, but after seeing how already uncomfortable the group was, she wondered if it was a good idea. She didn't want to be the one to ruin their first impressions of Alexandria. Hannah looked at the house that the group had filed into, watching wide shadows move behind the white-curtained windows. Maybe Aaron was right. Maybe seeing someone new, especially a kid, could be nice for them. Maybe she could show them that there truly is more to life than surviving.

---

Hannah could feel the splinters of the wooden basket digging into her palms. After talking to Aaron yesterday, she had gone home to find the welcome basket Deanna had given her when she first arrived. She had opened her front door, all those years ago, to find a small, picnic-type basket sitting on her porch. She looked around to see who dropped it off but was only met with Sam, who was playing with his red toy truck in the garden. When she opened the basket, there was a card laying on the top of a gray wool blanket. In the corner of the basket was a journal, two pencils-- only one of which had an eraser-- a can of sweet corn, and a can of tomato soup. Underneath the blanket, there was also a porcelain bowl and plate, along with a set of utensils. This, Hannah decided, was going to be what she based the new group's basket on.

It took her all that night to find the basket. Hannah had looked throughout the entire house, only to find it hidden at the top of the shelf in her closet. When she pulled it down, a piece of wooden weaving popped out of its place and scraped her palm, leaving a little stain of red along the basket. She quickly wiped it off and placed the basket on her dining table. First, she put in a woolen blanket, just like the one she was given. Though, it was blue, unlike hers, and somewhat softer. When Jessie, Ron's mom, heard she was planning on giving the new group a tour, she offered one of Sam's old blankets for the baby. Next, she put in some loose paper. She wanted to give them a journal but she wasn't sure how a group that big would use just one book. She had also gone to the pantry to ask Olivia if there was anything she could give to the group. She came back home with three jars of apple sauce and two cans of vegetable soup. Hannah then put in a couple of utensils and dishes from the community kitchen. Finally, on top of the pile, she placed a folded piece of paper. Across the front, it read, Welcome to Alexandria.

Now, though, as Hannah stood in front of the group's door, she felt frozen. Stupid. She wanted the group to feel at home here, she really did, but something about them was so new, so foreign to her. She breathed in the cool, Fall air and knocked on the red door. Hannah waited a moment, moving the basket from her left hand to her right, avoiding the scratch she had given herself. When no answer came, she knocked again. Hannah was sure she would know if the group had left the house, yet still, no one answered. Finally, a rattle came from the doorknob and revealed the man who had been carrying the possum. It was odd to see him without a weapon in his hand, though she had only seen him the one time. He seemed to fit better with it than without it.

Hannah stepped back when the man opened the door.

"Hm?" he grunted, looking down at her.

"Um, hi," Hannah greeted him, "I heard you guys just came in. It's, um, nice to meet you." She smiled and the man didn't answer. He continued to look at her until another person came from behind him. It was a woman this time, with short gray hair and a brown button-up. Behind her, Hannah could see other members of the group. Her eyes fell on the Mountain Man (Rick, she learned) and the cowboy, before hearing the woman speak.

"Hi, dear," she said kindly "Don't mind him. Are those for us?" Hannah liked this woman.

"Yes," she said, handing the basket to the woman, "I live just a couple houses down and I thought I'd bring some stuff over."

"That's very kind of you." The woman said, walking the basket over to a nearby table and placing it next to another, much larger, basket. She knew it didn't make sense, but Hannah felt a sort of jealousy that someone had gotten to the group before she did.

When the woman came back to the door, Hannah said, "Actually, um, Aaron, the man who brought you in, asked if I would give you guys a tour. Just to, you know, show you around a bit, tell you what the best places are," she chuckled to herself, trying to lighten the tension, "Only if you want, of course. I just thought it might be nice."

"Nah, we're good." The man said quickly, his voice thick with an accent, readying to close the door.

"Actually," The woman interrupted, looking at the man, "I think that's a good idea. I would love to get to know our new home." She grinned at Hannah, who couldn't help but smile back. "Would anyone like to go on a tour with me?" The woman called to the people behind her. A boy she hadn't seen yet, likely older than the cowboy, looked up and offered his hand. There was also a couple who stood and came up behind Carol, followed by a younger woman. "Carl, why don't you join them." The Mountain Man said. The cowboy moved from his place in the corner, his face still unamused with the situation. She could tell he didn't want to go, and still, after looking at his dad, he made his way beside the woman

Carl; a very fitting name for a cowboy

---

Hiii Lovelies! I'm so happy to be starting this book. I know I said Saturday would be my update day but wasn't able to post yesterday because my Docs wasn't working. I'm so sorry if anyone was waiting. In the future, I'm still planning on updating on Saturdays. 

What do you guys think so far? I love hearing from you!

Thanks for Reading!