28. Burning

Hannah ran straight from Maggie's house, yelling for someone, anyone, to help her. She would look back on her pleas later, worrying that maybe she had been too frantic, too loud, but at the time she would have done anything to save her friend. She finally found Rick and hurriedly explained the situation to him. She watched as his face turned, worry setting in as he realized what this meant. They would need to go to the Hilltop for a doctor. All while the saviors were out there, practically waiting for them. But Hannah ignored the thought. Rick wouldn't let anything happen to them. They had gotten past the saviors before and they could do it again. They would have to. For Maggie.

Rick began setting up the RV for the trip, with help from Abraham, Sasha, Eugene, and Rosita. With Glenn, Daryl, and Michonne all still gone, Hannah feared that maybe the four of them wouldn't be enough. If they did run into the saviors, they would need as many people as they could get. Hannah never doubted that she would do anything for her family, but now even more, she knew Maggie was her responsibility. The woman had saved her life during the Wolves' attack. Hannah owed it to her to at least be there. 

Rick instructed Hannah to grab as many weapons as she could from the armory but noted that for every gun she got they would need bullets. She ran across town, pulling open the heavy door to see Carl's back. He was already rushing through the small space, pulling down boxes of ammo into his bag. She didn't even have time to present herself before he began speaking,

"I heard what happened."

With that Hannah too grabbed what she could, pulling down what she knew would work with the ammo Carl had already grabbed. The room was almost silent, save for the sound of metal on metal and their heavy breathing. Carl seemed so focused, Hannah wondered if he'd even realized it was her he was talking to. But then, of course, things became clear.

"What are you doing?" Carl turned to her, stopping his movements. Hannah stopped too, perplexed by his confusion. What was he doing?

"I'm getting guns in case something goes down," She spoke like it was obvious, quickly restarting her actions. But Carl continued to look at her.

"You're going?" He asked and Hannah now realized what he meant. She let out a soft scoff before speaking.

"Yes, I'm going, Carl. I have to be there for Maggie." She didn't let herself look at him as she reached toward his center for a box of bullets. 

"Hannah, you just got shot at by those guys. Think about what they've done, to Daryl, to Maggie and Carol. Do you really want to worry about seeing them again?"

"I didn't actually get shot, Carl," she pointed out, not wanting to encourage his fears, "and we don't even know that they're gonna be there, alright?"

"It's not about whether you got shot or not. They tried to kill you. They killed Denise!" He let his anger fill his voice.

Hannah finally stopped, feeling the sting of his words. They killed Denise. She looked at him and Hannah could see the desperate look in his eyes. He wanted to run into them.

"I know that, Carl, of course, I know that." She spoke softer than he had, her voice still stern "But this is about Maggie, alright? This is not some half-assed revenge plan you get to be the hero of." 

They stared each other down, waiting for someone to make the next move. Of course, it was Carl who moved first. He grabbed the bag of guns that had been in her hand, holding it with his own bag.

"You're not going, Hannah." He turned from her.

Now it was her turn to raise her voice, "And who says you get to decide that?"

"I'm telling you, you're not going. Just leave it." He finally turned back, standing much closer than he had before.

"You can't stop me, Carl. I'm gonna be there for Maggie, whether you want it or not."