8. Strawberries and Strength

Rosemary McCants had been growing a garden in her backyard for as long as Hannah could remember. Although it wasn't nearly as big as the community garden, which Hannah always hated working in, Rosemary took great pride in the upkeep of her small plot. Whenever Hannah could, which wasn't very often, she would walk over to Mrs. McCants' house to see if she needed any help tending to the garden. Mrs. McCants always said yes, telling her to try and pick some stubborn weeds or help water the things she herself couldn't reach. Hannah never minded the work she did for the older woman, especially considering how it would inevitably end in a nice cold glass of lemonade every time. When Hannah was still a girl, before everything had changed, she would help her mother tend to a small garden that they had in their backyard. It wasn't much bigger than Mrs. McCants' and it was filled with the most beautiful strawberries. Even before they grew into berries, the little white petals that cradled a golden center decorated the plot, like dots of paint on a canvas. One of the reasons Hannah loved spending time in Mrs. McCants' garden was because she also grew perfect strawberries, just like Hannah's mother.

After helping Mrs. McCants water her garden and pick anything ripe, Hannah asked if she could take some of the wonderful red berries. It wasn't that she necessarily had a need for them, or even a plan really, but something about them made her ask. Of course, Mrs. McCants replied by picking a couple of small bushels of the fruit and placing them in a little basket on her patio table.

"Actually, dear, would you do me another favor?" McCants asked before Hannah left. "Take another basket over to Father Gabriel. I just want him to know how blessed we are to have him here." McCants had gathered another basket of strawberries, this time with a note inside, similar to the one Hannah herself had given to the group.

"Sure, Mrs. McCants." With that, Hannah said her goodbyes and began walking the fruit back home. She would probably just wash them and leave them in her fridge for a snack. Or maybe she could make a sort of strawberry shortcake with them, Hannah thought. On her way home, Hannah passed by the old garage that had been turned into a church not too long ago. Hannah peaked in through the opening, noticing the makeshift altar that was surrounded by worn candles. Nearby the altar, there was an empty table, perfect for her to leave the berries.

Hannah had never really talked to Father Gabriel, but she also never had anything against him. She could tell some members of the new group weren't very fond of him, but still, if Rosemary liked him then who was she to disagree?

---

Hannah passed Carol's house on her way home. She didn't usually go this way, going by the infirmary was much quicker, but the day was so lovely that she didn't mind it. The sun had been out all morning, giving the whole town a wonderful golden hue. These were Hannah's favorite days. When the sun was out like it was this morning, everyone just seemed to be in a better mood. People were happy when it was sunny. Things were quiet in town, just the sounds of light chatter from neighbors and soft grumblings from far-away Roamers. The new group called them Walkers, which honestly isn't all that different from Roamers. But still, Hannah preferred her own name better.

She had almost passed Carol's house when Hannah saw Sam running out of the front door. He didn't look scared, not like Carol had done anything, but still, there was a layer of panic covering his face.

"Sam? Sam, hey what's wrong?" Hannah asked, pulling his attention away from whatever had happened inside.

"Nothing, it's fine. Sorry." Sam breathed out, continuing to walk away from Hannah. She couldn't tell if he was angry or scared, but either way, it forced her to follow him.

"Sam? Did something happen? Did Carol do something?" She tried.

"No, no," Sam said quickly, "We just, well, we made cookies?" He said it like a question.