18. Green Balloons

Daryl, Sasha, and Abraham were all still Outside, trying to lead the herd from Alexandria. Glenn was still missing. Enid was still gone. And yet, as Hannah watched the bundle of green balloons float into the sky, she finally felt that things might be okay. At least, something would go right.

Carl had slept over that night, which Hannah was still surprised by. When she woke, she expected to see that the boy had left early in the morning, or even immediately after she had fallen asleep. Hannah wouldn't have blamed him, she thought, it would be hard to explain to Rick why he was there. But despite her doubt, Hannah woke to Carl quietly breathing at the foot of her bed, his head slumped against his shoulder and his arms crossed over his chest.

Hannah reached out hesitantly, letting her hand fall on just his shoulder, and gently tapped him. He stirred slightly before opening his eyes.

"Good morning," Carl said, sleep still in his voice.

"Good morning," Hannah smiled back.

The morning had been so nice. It was bright and the sky was clear. Hannah wanted to stay in this moment, all of Alexandria watching the sky, hope just within reach. But like Glenn's balloons, that hope floated away when the watch tower fell.

Hannah ran with Carl as it crashed into the fence, causing a great cloud of dust to fly into the air. The force of the fall seemed to reverberate across the ground, forcing everyone to stumble at the impact. Through the static sound, Hannah heard a deep growling coming from the now-fallen panel. She knew the walkers had gotten in.

"Everyone, get back! Get into your houses! Go!" Rick yelled before firing his gun at the horde.

Carl gripped her hand, pulling Hannah with him as he ran.

"Carl!" Michonne yelled to the two, coming up to meet them. Gabriel hurried behind her, a blood-stained machete in his hand. Carl only let go of Hannah to wave Michonne towards them, grasping her hand again when they all met.

"My dad!" Carl yelled to Michonne as both a question and a statement. The woman used her katana to point toward where Hannah could now see both Rick and Deanna, who was limping in the former's arms, shooting at walkers. They all crossed over town to get to the other group, keeping an eye on the incoming heard.

"Hannah! Hannah?" Hannah heard coming from nearby. She looked to see that Ron was alone, stumbling in front of a group of walkers.

"Ron, come on!" She yelled back to the boy, "Hurry up!" The girl felt Carl's grip loosen slightly as if to give her permission to help her friend, but, unconsciously, she squeezed tighter. Ron finally met up with the group as Carl reunited with his dad. They raced towards Carl and Rick's house, and Hannah could feel the stitches in her side straining with her movements. The burn sent a hiss to her lips, and she begged herself to move faster. The sounds of the walkers began to drown out Hannah's pain, and she could see their safety in the distance. Suddenly, Hannah felt herself trip over something, sending her out of Carl's grip and onto the road below them. She looked to see that just behind her, the fallen corpse of a walker was splayed on the ground, its disconnected arm laying in her path. Hannah pushed herself to her feet, but the pain in her side came back stronger. She moved slowly, too slowly. From the side of her, Hannah could see another creature closing in. Its arms were stretched out, reaching for her. The rest of the walkers began to circle the group, closing in around them. The walker grabbed at Hannah, its broken limbs swinging as it did. She kicked at the walker's weak legs, knowing she had no real weapon to protect herself. The walker stumbled with the impact, leaning closer into Hannah's arms. With a quick and heavy movement, Hannah threw her elbow into its neck and kicked it off of her body, allowing her to get back into the group.