42. Won't Fall Down

Hannah and Jesus settled into the Hilltop as soon as they could. Without Carl at her side, the girl felt lonely, which was a feeling she had just begun to forget. It had been so long since she'd actually been alone. Even before her and Carl had gotten closer, before they'd ever kissed, Hannah never questioned that someone was there for her. She always had Daryl. She always had Rick. She'd always had her family.

She tried to spend time with Jesus. The man seemed just as stressed about their situation as she was. But his entire focus was on Maggie. Hannah understood why, of course. Maggie was practically leading the Hilltop at this point, save for the few interruptions by Gregory. She was responsible for so much, and Hannah couldn't be the one to take away from that.

Hannah tried to make herself busy while the rest of her group was still out. She didn't want to think about where they were or how they were doing. She didn't want to think about the explosives in the back of their van, or the people trying to track down her friends. No, Hannah didn't want to think about any of that. She couldn't.

With her newfound time, she took it upon herself to help with teaching the people of Hilltop. Hannah wasn't going to lie to herself and try to show them how to wield a gun or take down a walker, but maybe she could teach them something just as important. Maybe she could help them just as much.

Over the past few days, with some help from Hilltop's own doctor, Hannah taught the people of Hilltop everything she knew about field medicine. It didn't start out as big as it had become. Hannah had asked Maggie a few day's prior if she could just teach them some basics; ways to stop bleeding, which plants could be used as medicine, etc. But the woman knew Hannah could do more than that. She wasn't quite sure who had told Maggie, but Hannah was sure she knew about the incident with Eugene. God, that had seemed so long ago. Maggie explained that her people would need to know what to do in case something like that ever happened. In case they didn't have everything they needed.

Of course, Hannah obliged.

She had just finished her third lesson of the week. Julie, one of the older girls from Hilltop who had come to the "class", had promised to help her clean up. The two were quietly putting away supplies into their organized containers, humming along to the soft music from the radio, when the alarm sounded. Hannah hadn't even noticed at first, too lost in her own sways to hear the ring of the bells. It wasn't until she saw the panic on Julia's face that she realized something was wrong.

"The Saviors are coming!" Someone yelled from the gates.

Dropping everything in her hands, Hannah bolted from the small tent the lesson had been held in. She could hear Julia's feet on the ground behind her, panting with each step.

"Go help Enid!" Hannah yelled without looking behind her. She knew her friend would be just as frantic, desperate to keep Maggie hidden away.

As the footsteps behind her dissipated, Hannah raced towards where she knew Daryl had been staying. The Saviors were here for him, that Hannah was sure of. What she didn't know was what lengths they might go to find him.

"Kid!"

Hannah turned at the sound, meeting eyes with Daryl. She was surprised to see the look of fear on his face. He was trying to hide it beneath snarls and grunts, but Hannah could see his panic. He didn't want to go back.

"Come on, we gotta go!" She called out, waving the man towards her as she ran.

With the sound of bells ringing in her ears, Hannah could only focus on moving forward. She didn't know where Maggie and Daryl could hide. She didn't know if the Saviors would recognize her. She didn't know what she would do if something bad happened. Hannah just knew that she needed to save her family.