6. Deanna's Dinner

Hannah had only ever owned 2 dresses after everything happened. The first was a knee-length, baby blue dress with puffed sleeves. It was much too small for the girl, however, gripping her arms through the elastic bands, but Hannah appreciated the sentiment. Her mother had given it to her when they were still together, having found it crumpled at the bottom of a closet in an abandoned home. It was Hannah's birthday when her mother gave it to her, wrapped loosely in a ribbon. She laughed when her mother told her she got her a present.

"No matter what happens around us, you deserve good things in life." Her mother had told her, handing over the wrinkled piece of fabric.

By the time the blue dress had grown impossibly small, Hannah had already moved into Alexandria. When she first arrived, after receiving the gift basket from Deanna, Jessie also gave her an old dress of hers. It was a similar length to the blue one, though this time it was a sort of deep pink, like the blush Hannah's mother used to buy. It wasn't necessarily a fancy dress, but it was much nicer than anything Hannah had brought with her. Across most of the fabric, there were small bushels of white flowers with thin leaves splayed around them. On the spaces with no bushels, there were small dots of red flowers, all in bunches of three or four. Hannah had never been fond of spaghetti strap dresses, but something about this one felt so her. The dress made her feel pretty. Human.

Deanna had been planning this party ever since the new group arrived. When Hannah heard, she smiled, holding back a comment about how she never got a party upon her arrival. She didn't mind, really. This group deserved a party more than anyone.

As Hannah neared the Monroe home, she could see the shadows moving through the white curtains, much like she had the day the group arrived. She was never really invited to parties before, other than a few children's birthday parties here and there. It was odd, Hannah thought, for them all to be in here, partying like the world was okay. Like everything was fine. These people had just left hell and we were throwing them a party like we were the ones who saved them. It was odd.

The first person she saw when she entered was Sam. He didn't notice her, too excited by the stamp in his hand, trying to press it on as many people as he could. Hannah smiled at the boy and continued to look around. She then saw Ron sitting at a table with Mikey and Carl. She was glad they were getting along, even if it meant there would be one more boy added to their group.

"Hey, guys," Hannah said as she walked up to the table, smoothing the pink dress on her thighs.

"Hey," Mikey said when he saw her, "Come sit with us, we're playing cards!"

"Yeah, he needs all the help he can get." Ron laughed, scooting his chair to make room for the girl to sit. Hannah pulled a chair from a nearby table, sitting between Ron and Carl.

"Hey!" Mikey scoffed at Ron, "You're just a cheater."

"It's not my fault I'm kicking your ass, man," Ron said and Carl chuckled from beside Hannah. She hadn't seen him since the fight the other day.

Sitting with the boys, Hannah felt wildly overdressed. They were all wearing what they had started their day in. Carl was in his usual dull colors, with a gray shirt under a darker gray flannel. She hadn't been looking at the boy long before their eyes met. There was a piece of hair covering his right eye, though she could still see the brown peaking through the strand. Hannah never noticed that about him. He has nice eyes, she thought.

"You want me to deal you in, Hannah?" Ron asked.

"No, no, I'm alright. I don't really know how to play." She told him.

"We don't know either," Carl said, more mumbled, to her. "Actually, here," The boy pushed his chair back, putting his cards face down on the table in front of him, "Take mine. I'm gonna get some air."

"Dude?" Mikey let out as the boy left the table. Hannah kicked the boy underneath the table, sending him a look that said shut up.

Hannah watched the boy near the door, his hands pushed up against each other, cracking his knuckles as he walked. Carl pulled open the door and disappeared behind it, leaving the girl to wonder where he was off to.

"Whatever, it's fine," Ron said to the group. "Just take his hand." After a moment of hesitation, Hannah moved herself into Carl's chair, slightly uncomfortable with the fact that it was still warm. She took the cards he had left on the table. Hannah scoffed. It was a 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8. All hearts.

"You look really pretty, Hannah," Mikey said softly, pulling her attention away from the cards, "I've never seen you in a dress before." Hannah saw Ron smile and shake his head, still looking at the cards in his hands.

Hannah smiled at Mikey, "Oh, thank you, Mikey." Though it came out awkward, Hannah really did mean it. Mikey could be weird sometimes, but he was nice. Hannah had always thought she could see herself with him one day. It would be a good life. He would take care of her, he would treat her well. It could be nice. But still, something about it felt wrong. She couldn't do that to Mikey. She couldn't settle.

"You know," Hannah started, "I think I'm gonna go too. I might go see what Enid is up to."

"Oh, come on you too? Enid isn't even here. You know it's not her thing." Ron complained.

"Exactly," Hannah said, leaning over the table. She left her cards face up and headed for the door.

- - -
Hii Lovelies! i'm sorry it's sort of a cliff hanger but I promise next week's is gonna be interesting... :)

Where do you think Hannah is going???

Thanks for Reading!!