30. Neck Deep

The Saviors were everywhere. At every turn.

As they drove around, desperate for a way around them, Maggie began to burn up, her pain growing worse with each jostle of the van. Hannah tried to do what she could to help, holding a cool towel to her forehead when she got too hot and wrapping her with blankets when she got too cold. But it seemed to just keep getting worse.

"What can I do Maggie? Anything," Hannah spoke softly to the woman, but she said nothing back. "I promise we're gonna make it. I trust Rick, he knows what he's doing, alright?" Hannah did her best to be reassuring. In truth, though, she had no idea if any of this was going to work. If their endless driving would ever take them somewhere better. But she had to pretend. Not just for Maggie, but for herself. It was the only way to keep going forward.

The RV rolled to a stop a final time, leaving the group in front of a wooden wall blocking the road. Those who could got out slowly, checking to see who might be hiding in the woods that surrounded them. The wall was taller than Hannah had thought at first. It was made up of huge logs, each stacked neatly on top of one another. She was right when she said the Saviors had time.

"These tracks, they would indicate that they not only have people, but some big-ass toys and capabilities," Eugene seemed to echo her thoughts.

"What it indicates is we are neck deep up shit creek with our mouths wide open," Abraham added.

And they sure as hell were.

Behind them, a scream rang out, seemingly as if from the sky. Hannah turned quickly, almost expecting to see some sort of creature in the clouds, yelling down at them. But of course, what she was met with was worse. The man who the Saviors had laid out on the road a while back was dangling from a bridge that stood behind the group. He had been beaten so badly she could hardly recognize the man's face. The face she had looked into not so long ago.

Hannah silenced her screams as everyone pulled their guns, expecting the Saviors to show themselves. But instead, it was silent, save for the struggles of the hanging man. Some debated trying to shoot him down, hopefully breaking the chain and freeing the man from a horrible death. But it was too late.

Eventually, his struggles stopped and the man let out a final choking sound. Hannah didn't know what to do. She didn't know what to think. She looked at Carl and saw that he too was watching the man, unmoving as he stared up. Through his hair though, Hannah could see how his jaw tighten.

"You're treating your people good, right?" Hannah could have sobbed at the sound of the Savior's mocking voice. She hated him. She hated all of them.

The group turned to the wall once more, searching for the voice as he continued, "Like it was your last day on earth? Or maybe one of theirs?" He paused, "You go get where you're going, alright? Things aren't looking too good over here."

Rick ushered everyone back into the RV and Hannah tried not to trip as she stumbled her way up the stairs. When she sat back down by Maggie, Hannah finally felt the tears that had begun to form in her eyes. She didn't want to cry. She really, really didn't, especially not in front of Maggie. But Hannah knew there could be no hiding it from her. She would always have that motherly instinct.

"It's not good is it?" Maggie spoke in the same tone Hannah had before, though her voice was rougher. All Hannah could do was shake her head. It wasn't good.

---

"So what's the play?" Abraham spoke from the front of the van. They had all circled around the front two seats, discussing what to do next.

"Rick, she needs a doctor," Hannah said before anyone else could speak. Maggie had to be their first priority.

Rick looked over at her and saw the serious look on her face. He knew Hannah was right.