3. This is Me Trying

Hannah lead the group out of their home, leaving behind the members who'd opted out of the tour. She tried not to let that bother her. Of course, it made sense they wouldn't want a random girl showing them around, but Hannah wished she could have met more of the group. They were all so close to each other, so vehemently dependent on one another, and yet, they each hold their own so well. Hannah admired that.

She walked ahead of the gray-haired woman, whom she had learned was Carol. Behind Carol was the couple she had noticed earlier, Maggie and Glenn. Hannah wondered how they had met, if they had found each other before or after everything? They seemed so infinitely happy with one another. Looking just behind Carol, Hannah saw Maggie holding onto Glenn's hand, swaying it as they walked. They were both young enough that Hannah could assume the two had met during, but also, old enough to think the opposite. She would need to ask about that later.

Behind the couple was a lanky, dark-skinned boy, and another woman, talking as they walked. This was Noah and Tara. Noah was in awe of the houses they passed, pointing out the colors on the painted shutters and the flowers that were planted along the pavement. Tara chuckled at his comments, though Hannah could tell she was just as excited. She could remember her own first time seeing Alexandria. There was an immediate sense of normalcy that rushed through the town, so much so that it shocked her. It was starkly different from the outside. Outside you spent every second fighting for the next, watching as the roamers consume your most delicate moments, changing everything you thought you knew. It had been so long since Hannah was outside, and yet still, sometimes, she could feel what she had felt before. She'll be sitting in her own bed, late into the night, and suddenly she'll be back in that horrible field, alone with teary eyes. She'll be brought back into the moment, gripping her mother's shirt as her knuckles turn white. She'll be able to feel the tall, uncut grass tickle the places her socks don't cover, and the heavy afternoon winds burning her skin. Sometimes she'll stay in this memory, continuing to grasp onto the fabric of her mother's top, only to let the gentle lull of sleep tear her away. She could never decide where she wanted to stay.

Finally, behind Noah and Tara, was Carl. Hannah had looked back every once in a while, noticing the way his lips were pursed and his eyes were tight. Hannah had made eye contact with him only once, looking away after he had tilted his head just slightly as she spoke. He didn't seem to just be angry with her, but more so with the situation as a whole. She knew he was wary of her home and, honestly, she didn't blame him.

"Here is the gazebo." She pointed as they came closer to the white structure. "I like to hang out here sometimes. As kind as everyone is, sometimes it's nice to get away," She chuckled, but no one responded, though Tara had smiled in her direction. "Alright," Hannah continued, walking away from the gazebo and towards the infirmary, "This is the infirmary. We have a really wonderful doctor here," That was a lie. Hannah knew about Pete. Everyone did. Sometimes she would hang out with Ron, reading one of her hidden books while he played cards with Mikey. While sitting behind them, legs crossed over each other on Ron's bed, she would notice a mark lining his skin. Sometimes it would just be a reddened splotch, as though someone had just struck the skin, while other times it would be a purple-ish swamp of blues and greens; an obvious bruise. She would never mention it, but they both understood that she knew. Everyone knew.

"Hiya everyone" Pete greeted cheerfully, wiping his hands across his shirt.

Hannah didn't want to talk to Pete longer than she had to so, after allowing the group to greet him, all hiding their shock at a real, living breathing doctor, she continued on with the tour. She walked them down past more houses, each one almost identical, save for the colors that adorned the porch or shudders. She reached the house about 3 away from her own when she saw Ron coming her way. He had a sort of surprised grin when he noticed the group behind her.

"Hey," Hannah told him, "I'm just giving the new group a little tour." Ron smiled at the group, giving them a short wave.

"Oh, sorry. I just wanted to see what you were up to. Sam wanted to show you the sculpture he and mom were making in the garage." Ron laughed.

"Oh, well," Hannah looked to the group behind her, "we're almost done here, so I'll come by later, okay?" Ron smiled at this, glancing from Hannah to the people around her, and then continued in the direction he had been walking. Hannah looked back waving to him as he went, and, as she turn to face forward again, her eyes fell on Carl. He too was watching Ron leave, the ever-present scowling look masking his face. He looked forward again, now making eye contact with the girl, and she quickly shifted away, turning her back to the boy.

"Alright well, thats really all there is here," She chuckled as they finally came to the house at the end of the block. Hannah gestured to the building, "This is where I live. If anyone has any questions or anything I'll probably be here or at Ron's," she pointed to the house the group just came from, "so feel free to stop by." Hannah smiled, hoping that someone would respond. No one does. Maggie and Glenn smiled at her, nodding their heads slightly, and Carol put on a very enthralled grin, but no one speaks.

Hannah was trying, she really was, to make them feel comfortable and wanted here. She knew what it felt like to be here for the first time. It's terrifying to be reminded that civility still exists. To be shown that through everything you may have faced, people were still out there living normal lives.

"Well, it was really nice to meet you guys." Hannah ended awkwardly, wringing her hands in front of her. She had been doing it throughout the entire tour, but only now could she feel the slight burn on the skin she had been rubbing. The group began walking away, nodding their heads in thanks, until only Carl remained. His eyes fell on Hannah once again as she stood in front of him, though his hat created a shade that hid them from her.

"Thanks." He says simply. Before Hannah can respond, he turns and heads back toward his house, leaving her standing on her own. 

---

Yay they finally met!! I promise next chapter they'll interact more, but I'm going to ease into it. Get ready for some angsty harl content soon!! 

Does anyone have any better ship names? I'd love to hear them! 

Thanks for Reading! 

p.s did anyone notice the t swift reference?? :)