24. Ugly

Maggie was working in the garden when Hannah found her. It wasn't that she was looking for her necessarily, but Hannah was glad to see the woman.

"I heard about that guy Daryl and Rick brought back," Hannah spoke as they knelt in the dirt, pulling weeds from the soil. It wasn't Hannah's shift in the garden, but she knew how Maggie could overwork herself, even with her baby on the way. Hannah decided that, after everything Maggie had done for her, it was the least she could do.

"Jesus?" Maggie said, her voice heavy with an accent.

"That's his name?" Hannah stopped pulling at the weed she was working on, "Really?"

Maggie gave a light chuckle, "He says that's what they call him at his colony"

"That's where Rick and everyone are headed today, his colony?" Hannah asked as she went back to the weeds.

Maggie nodded at her words. The two became silent as they focused on their work, but Hannah continued to think about what was to come. She had yet to meet this 'Jesus', but she wanted to believe in what he had said. If there really was more out there, Hannah hoped that they could find it through him.

She went home after finishing up in the garden, only to come out moments later with two proudly wrapped sandwiches in her hands. Hannah felt a little embarrassed at the idea, but she wanted so desperately for something good to come out of this trip. So, she would do what she could to help.

"Hey, kid," Daryl said without turning from the trailer as Hannah approached. He was hauling a box of different weaponry into the back, locking it in place before turning to face the girl.

"Watchu got there?" He asked, wiping his hands off and pointing to the wrapped food in her hands.

"I made you some sandwiches. You know, for on the road or whatever." She spoke nonchalantly, holding out the packages to Daryl. He took them from her hands and inspected them for a moment.

"There's two of 'em," Daryl said bluntly and Hannah's brows furrowed.

"Yeah," She told him, "One for the way there, one for the way back."

Daryl let himself smile at her words, something she knew he didn't do very often, and he moved both sandwiches into one of his hands.

"Well, let's hope they taste better than they look. Cause it looks like shit," Daryl said lightheartedly and Hannah laughed.

"Okay," she said before turning away to help the others. Before she could leave though, Daryl called her name.

"You know, if you ever want to come out on one of these runs or something, I'm sure it wouldn't be too bad. You're smart."

Hannah smiled. She looked around for a moment, noticing how almost everyone she knew was outside, helping to send the group off to Jesus's colony. Just behind Daryl, Hannah could see Carl knelt beside some red jerrycans he must have just filled with gas, talking with his dad. Hannah looked back to Daryl.

"I'll think about it," was all she told him. Daryl nodded at her words.

"Ok," He spoke, opening the passenger side door of the trailer, "Thanks Hannah," He raised the sandwiches that were still in his hand. She gave him a wide smile before leaving him to finish his work on the trailer.

Rick had left Carl by the time Hannah got to him. He was standing now, putting his final plastic container into one of the cars.

"Hey," Hannah spoke and Carl turned his head to her.

"Hey, Hannah."

She knelt down beside Carl, picked up the last container, and lifted it up by the handle, carrying it to the car. It felt extra heavy on her arm, forcing her to strain as she pulled it up to the trunk of the car. Hannah paid no mind to the sensation, but she took note that it was the arm on the side of her body that had been injured all that time ago. It felt like forever since the attack, Hannah thought, look how far they had come.